Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My pot (stainless steel 205 35) has some pits, it's still safety?

Posted by frank-yang (My Page) on
Mon, May 27, 13 at 0:11

About two months ago, I bought a pot from IKEA that made by stainless steel 205 35, marked outside bottom of the pot. While a few days ago, I found there have 4 or 5 pits which diameter belike 0.1-0.3cm in the inside bottom of the pot. These pits seem like the plating surface of stainless steel were shed or taken off. Hence, I very worry about if any toxic metal, Nickel, Manganese, Chrome…dissolves into food when cooking. Is it still safety for cooking? Being parent, I will keep our children health and safety. Waiting and appreciate for your answers.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My pot (stainless steel 205 35) has some pits, it's still saf

I would notify Ikea immediately. 2 months after purchase and the pan is defective!? I would take it back to whatever store you got it from and get a new pan or refund. Pans (even if purchased at Walmart)are supposed to last longer then 2 months. Take it back. NancyLouise

o
RE: My pot (stainless steel 205 35) has some pits, it's still saf

Wow! When someone wrote in a thread in the Appliance forum about not using a Brillo pad too much in a stainless steel pan, I was tempted to comment that anyone who could cut through the metal has a job at my house removing paint. But here we see a case of plating on what looks like aluminum. Not only is it apparently etched through, but the rest of the surface looks very scratched. That shouldn't happen with real stainless steel being contacted by stainless steel utensils.

It is hard for me to believe that any manufacturer would build a pan or pot in this manner, but here it is, and I remain amazed. I suggest buying pans that are built of drawn stainless steel, with or without added materials at the bottom on the outside (copper, aluminum, sandwiched stuff for induction, etc.)

With respect to the point of the question, I would doubt that even this crappy coating would dissolve into its constituent metals if ingested, and that they would form compounds that would be toxic in sufficient quantity to have a health effect. But why risk it when the pan, as noted above, is not only defective, but not suitable for its use. If you want stainless steel, use drawn stainless steel, and not plated pseudo stainless steel. If you want aluminum, use aluminum and don't cook acidic stuff in it as it will attack the surface.

kas

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here