Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why does this All-Clad pan stick?

Posted by empress (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 28, 10 at 22:59

A couple years ago I found an All-Clad 12" Chef's pan in a stack of cheap fry pans at Goodwill for $7. Lucky me. I brought it home and gave it a good scrubbing with an SOS pad. It did not have an deep scratches or dents, seems to have been well used and not abused, just had old grease cooked onto the bottom and edges.

Everything I have cooked in the pan has stuck and/or burned. It does not seem to have a hot spot, just the entire bottom becomes hopelessly coated with anything I put into it, no matter how carefully I prep it. Get the pan good and warm, add oil, get that warm, then add food. Meat, potatoes, eggs, sauces, anything I cook becomes part of the bottom of the pan. It always has to be soaked to allow me to scrape off the encrusted bottom of the pan.

What am I doing wrong? What should I be doing? I've got a set of Farberware stainless cookware I've had an used without a problem since the early '70s. I've got various iron skillets and Dutch ovens, some vintage, some brand new that I seasoned myself, I've got a good old Presto aluminum pressure cooker. I do not have problems with any of them. Should I just give up on this high-dollar (at least to the original purchaser) supposed-to-be-wonderful pan?

I will appreciate any information you can share. Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why does this All-Clad pan stick?

I don't know, but I wonder if your cooking temperature needs to be adjusted for the pan. I would contact All-Clad and ask them.

Here is a link that might be useful: All-Clad Customer Service

o

Thanks. AFTER I posted this question I did visit the All-Clad site. Your suggestion is probably correct, as they indicate low to medium temps, and I tend to use med to med-high more often. I'll see if that makes any difference.

Thanks, lascatx, for your response.

o

Buy some metal polish (hardware store) and, with a rag (or, better yet, a buffing pad on an electric drill), polish the inside of the pan. It will take time and elbow grease, unless you go the drill route. You can get the pan to a mirror finish if you like, but it isn't necessary.

Then wash thoroughly, dry, oil it up, and cook something. The pan will be beautifully slick! Use only wood or plastic/silicone tools, and don't scrub with steel wood or green scouring pads (plastic scouring pads are okay), to preserve your hard-earned polish. I do this a couple of times a year.

Using lower temperatures also helps, but sometimes you do need to use high heat (searing, etc).

o

OK what is high heat? I have 6 different sized Fobs SHould I just measure the pan temp and go with that. What would be an ideal temp?

o

Pre-heating a stainless pan can lead to sticking, as can putting cold ingredients into the pan. Try to let cold items go room temperature before cooking. Medium heat range instead of high heat and don't let the oil become too hot.

FANTASTIC DEAL on your pan! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here