Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bad luck with George Forman Grills

Posted by shambo (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 27, 05 at 21:30

We've owned three of the grills so far. The first one was huge & worked fine. But after only one year of use, the non-stick coating started coming off. So we bought another, smaller one. The box showed two hamburgers grilling. But when we opened it up & tried to use it, we realized it would only hold one frozen hamburger patty. Finally we bought a family size one that worked fine, but then the non-stick coating started bubbling up from beneath the coating. Eventually most of it came off.

When they worked well, we really enjoyed using them. Should we try another one (and keep the receipt), or should we go with another brand with similar features? Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bad luck with George Forman Grills

I've had this problem too. What a disappointment! I returned mine and got another one.

o

It really helps if you put a damp paper towel or two over the grill just after turning it off, and then close the lid. Then clean off the gunk within an hour and it will be damp and soft and easy to remove. If you try to scrape off the residue that is hard, you will damage the teflon. They have newer models now with removable grids you can soak and wash. I've had mine for years and it's still fine.

o

Funny you should mention the paper towel trick because that is exactly what I did with my last grill. We thought that perhaps the teflon coating wasn't sealed properly and the dampness from the paper towel got underneath it and made it bubble.

I think I may give it one more try with the removeable grid model. If that doesn't work, then we'll never buy another one again.

o

The removeable grills are great -- Hamilton Beach makes a cheaper model with removeable plates which I got before Foreman introduced removeable plates -- couldn't stand cleaning the old style Foreman - who the heck cleans pans with paper towels and no soap -- yuck.

There is also a very nice Cusinart model that also converts to a panini maker and grill.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here