Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
great pepper grinders?

Posted by goojie (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 2, 05 at 21:24

I'm looking to replace my not-so-great pepper grinder. I would like it to be approximately 5 to 8 inches tall and made of wood. And of course it has to have a great grinding mechanism with fine, medium and coarse settings. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: great pepper grinders?

Goojie, the Unicorn Magnum isn't wood, but it is a highly regarded pepper mill by Cook's Illustrated. Some of us at the Cooking Forum own it and think it's da bomb. It's capacity is huge, easy to fill, and even better, a small twist generates a pretty hefty amount of well ground pepper.

The manufacturers have several sizes available if the Magnum, 9", is too big. Easily available on the net.

Here is a link that might be useful: Unicorn Magnum and friends

o

I have the peppermill in the link below. It is excellent. Three settings for size of flakes, the little knob at the top does not get loose and it is easy to fill. Supposedly Wm. Bounds mills crush instead of grind pepper for more taste (?). I know it works well and they also have wood versions.

Here is a link that might be useful: william bounds pepper mill

o

FWIW, both the above are excellent, but I like the Peppermate for the following reasons:

1. don't have to grip the top to grind - a big plus for arthritics

2. has a "catcher" to hold ground pepper if you want to measure, and

3. its a fairly fast grinder

windje

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002IEOPC/qid=1112624146/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2_etk-kitchen/102-0879365-6396111?v=glance&s=kitchen&n=284507

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Peppermate

o

Oooohhhh, we're having the same discussion over in the cooking forum. Check in there for even more ideas. I love my brass Turkish coffee grinder.

o

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I'll definitely check out those grinders. And I'll head over to the cooking forum too!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here