Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Melted Knob on old Le Creuset Dutch Oven

Posted by denise54 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 4, 10 at 19:54

I gave my daughter two old Le Creuset dutch ovens. Both were purchased in the late 70's or early 80's and had been in a box in the basement for years. I can't remember, but I think the black plastic knob covers were removable for use in the oven. Does anyone remember???? She put the dutch oven in the oven today for Easter dinner and the black knob melted. My new Le Creuset don't have plastic knobs.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Melted Knob on old Le Creuset Dutch Oven

Yes they are removable....AND you can now buy stainless steel replacement knobs for them!!
But i have 2 from the 70's and 80's and the6y go into an oven as long as it's not hotter than 375....have done it many many times!
Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful: knobs

o

Linda:

You are a goddess! Thanks for the helpful link and good answer.

Denise

o

I have a couple of those old Le Creuset ovens (from the early to mid '70s) - yes, the plastic covers did slide off the metal knobs underneath. And yes, in my careless youth I did melt one of the covers onto the underlying knob.

As you now know, the good news is that you can get replacement knobs. Actually, long before those nifty stainless knobs were available, Le Creuset sent me a black replacement knob for my melted one.

The bad news is, I can't get the screw out to unscrew the damaged knob. It's rusted in place. Or something.

However, since these particular Le Creusets have ridged bottoms (on the outside, not the inside) I can't use them on my current glasstop stove anyway, so in storage they sit - with their replacement knobs tucked safely inside them.

Oh well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here