Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbara9093

Where do you put those hot dripping pot lids?

barbara9093
18 years ago

I have yet to figure out a good place to put a hot, steamy pot lid when I take it off a pot while I'm cooking. Sometimes I have two or three of them at once. They end up face down on the counter, making a mess and taking up space. What do you all do with those pot lids when you're cooking? I don't want to throw them in the sink, because I may need to put them right back on the pot. This is a stupid trivial question, but it bothers me every time I cook. There must be some obvious solution I haven't thought of.

Barbara

Comments (20)

• velodoug
    18 years ago

I very seldom take more than one lid off at a time. I hold it vertically over the edge of the pot so the drips go back into the pot while I use the other hand to stir the food. If I need to take off more than one lid at a time they go on the plastic cutting board that resides more or less permanently next to the range.

• chitownfifi
    18 years ago

I put them in the clean side of the sink, on the dish rack I have in there. This way I can put it back on the pot if I want to.

• harper
    18 years ago

Not trivial at all! That's one of the many reasons I love a range with a griddle in the middle. Gives you a place to put those lids among other things.

Harper

• woodie
    18 years ago

Harper - that's a great stove!

No, this is not a trivial question at all! There is no good place to put down a hot drippy pot lid in my kitchen, I don't have a lot of counter space and I usually walk around holding it awkwardly so it doesn't drip while I stir or do what I have to do. I recently bought a stainless trivet about 8 1/2 X 15 inches and put it right next to my stovetop so now I use that. Of course, if its spaghetti sauce or something really messy, its going to be worse than just water, but there's no other choice. I'm pretty paranoid about putting down a hot pot or lid on my Corian countertop and its really a pain in the you know what. Anyway, they go on the counter somewhere and take up space and get messy, I can't see any other way and, by the way Barbara, it bothers me too!

• barbara9093
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for all the ideas. I've still been thinking about what would be a good solution for my kitchen. I don't have a spot on my stove for the lids, and I don't have half a sink empty EVER, and I don't have extra room for a cutting board.

I've been thinking I could take a plate holder -- the little wooden easel kind that holds decorative plates - and cover it in tin foil and rest my pot lid on that. Or I could get a metal napkin holder - the kind that holds the napkins upright - and put the lid in that. Both these solutions only hold one lid, though. And they don't look very nice. I can't believe there's not some gadget for this that I could waste some money on!

Barbara

• barbara9093
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, Twinkledome. I think you hit on the solution for me!
    Barbara

• woodie
    18 years ago

Twinkle - how clever of you! Isn't it funny how some things can be so simple. I never thought of a dish towel and it seems so obvious, duh!

• davebean
    18 years ago

I've seen a two sided spoon rest with a small metal wall between them. Seems you can rest two lids at the same time. Now I'm curious.

Dave Bean

• barbara9093
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Dave Bean - I found it! I searched for "lid rest" or "pot lid rest" or something like that on Amazon, and, even though their search engine wondered if I didn't mean "pot lid rust," it still came up with this link. Unfortunately, it says it's no longer available. I figured there had to be a gadget out there somewhere.

Barbara

Here is a link that might be useful: spoon/lid rest

• mccall
    18 years ago

I use a wooden lid rack it has wooden dowels that stick up holds many lids.

• harper
    18 years ago

Barbara, according to this it's available at Kohl's.

Harper

Here is a link that might be useful: lid/spoon rest

• wilsonb
    18 years ago

Right on my soapstone! :)

• svetik348
    8 years ago

how about this one? www.trivae.com

• dana6672
    6 years ago

I use Lid-Aid! It's amazing for those hot pot lids with all that built up condensation! No more counter mess! No more walking around the kitchen awkwardly holding the lid so it doesn't drip!

• lohneslink
    5 years ago

@dana6672 Do you have a link to the Lid-Aid?

• Nette E
    3 years ago

Cast iron trivets

• Meeche80
    3 years ago

You could just place it between the top of the pot and the handle. It should hold it there.

• aziline
    3 years ago

I had one that was wood with dowels but it was rather large and one if the dowels kept coming out.

Bought this one and like it much better. Nice and small. They go in and out of stock.

Staub Cast Iron Lid holder, black matte | Official ZWILLING Shop

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022