Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where do you put those hot dripping pot lids?

Posted by barbara9093 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 6, 06 at 19:40

I have yet to figure out a good place to put a hot, steamy pot lid when I take it off a pot while I'm cooking. Sometimes I have two or three of them at once. They end up face down on the counter, making a mess and taking up space. What do you all do with those pot lids when you're cooking? I don't want to throw them in the sink, because I may need to put them right back on the pot. This is a stupid trivial question, but it bothers me every time I cook. There must be some obvious solution I haven't thought of.

Barbara

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where do you put those hot dripping pot lids?

I very seldom take more than one lid off at a time. I hold it vertically over the edge of the pot so the drips go back into the pot while I use the other hand to stir the food. If I need to take off more than one lid at a time they go on the plastic cutting board that resides more or less permanently next to the range.

o

I put them in the clean side of the sink, on the dish rack I have in there. This way I can put it back on the pot if I want to.

o

Not trivial at all! That's one of the many reasons I love a range with a griddle in the middle. Gives you a place to put those lids among other things.

Harper

o

Harper - that's a great stove!

No, this is not a trivial question at all! There is no good place to put down a hot drippy pot lid in my kitchen, I don't have a lot of counter space and I usually walk around holding it awkwardly so it doesn't drip while I stir or do what I have to do. I recently bought a stainless trivet about 8 1/2 X 15 inches and put it right next to my stovetop so now I use that. Of course, if its spaghetti sauce or something really messy, its going to be worse than just water, but there's no other choice. I'm pretty paranoid about putting down a hot pot or lid on my Corian countertop and its really a pain in the you know what. Anyway, they go on the counter somewhere and take up space and get messy, I can't see any other way and, by the way Barbara, it bothers me too!

o

Thanks for all the ideas. I've still been thinking about what would be a good solution for my kitchen. I don't have a spot on my stove for the lids, and I don't have half a sink empty EVER, and I don't have extra room for a cutting board.

I've been thinking I could take a plate holder -- the little wooden easel kind that holds decorative plates - and cover it in tin foil and rest my pot lid on that. Or I could get a metal napkin holder - the kind that holds the napkins upright - and put the lid in that. Both these solutions only hold one lid, though. And they don't look very nice. I can't believe there's not some gadget for this that I could waste some money on!

Barbara

o

How about placing the lids on a folded dish towel set close to the stove. At least it will catch the moisture so it doesn't spread all over the counter and drip down the front of the cabinet. It will keep the steam from suctioning the lid tight to the counter, also. That's what I don't like.

o

Thanks, Twinkledome. I think you hit on the solution for me!
Barbara

o

Twinkle - how clever of you! Isn't it funny how some things can be so simple. I never thought of a dish towel and it seems so obvious, duh!

o

I've seen a two sided spoon rest with a small metal wall between them. Seems you can rest two lids at the same time. Now I'm curious.

Dave Bean

o

Dave Bean - I found it! I searched for "lid rest" or "pot lid rest" or something like that on Amazon, and, even though their search engine wondered if I didn't mean "pot lid rust," it still came up with this link. Unfortunately, it says it's no longer available. I figured there had to be a gadget out there somewhere.

Barbara

Here is a link that might be useful: spoon/lid rest

o

I use a wooden lid rack it has wooden dowels that stick up holds many lids.

o

Barbara, according to this it's available at Kohl's.

Harper

Here is a link that might be useful: lid/spoon rest

o

Right on my soapstone! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here