Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elenal_gw

advice SS cookware--kitchen aid 5 ply vs the contenders!

elenal
18 years ago

Hi: I've been researching SS uncoated cookware, and I think I've read all the threads here on the subject. Unfortunately and typically, I'm still confused. My story in brief: I'm starting from scratch with cookware, though I've always been an avid cook. I'm a month away from finishing a big remodel. Before we moved our furniture into storage I got rid of all my junky cookware and knives. Nothing junky in my new kitchen.

I was originally planning on All Clad SS as my big splurge. However, now that I've looked at it several times in the store and used it once at a friend's home, I've decided against it. I really hate the way the handles feel. I just don't know how such an expensive product could be so non-ergonomic (if that's a word). And really, it seems terribly overpriced, and I just can't justify it (even though I like that it is US mfgd).

I've read about Tramontina and checked out their site. (I don't have access to Sam's Club, so Members' Mark is out of the question.) I've been reading about Kitchen Aid Five Ply in various places, though there is not one store in my state that has any that I can see. From what I've read, I'm leaning strongly toward the Kitchen Aid product (via potsandpans.com, mentioned in another thread here). Users seem to think that it cooks as well, if not better than AC. The handles are apparently comfy, the lids good, the pouring spouts a handy feature, and the handles stay pretty cool, from what I've read. Am I missing anything as far as the Kitchen Aid 5 ply?

BTW, since I am pot-and-pan-less, I was planning to go for a set, and then fill in with extra pieces that I can't live w/o (like a saucier, 1 qter.).

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor