Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mlbeck_gw

Top 5 pieces of Le Creuset cookware?

mlbeck
13 years ago

I recently won a competition with my hubby and get to purchase some new cookware! I've been eyeing Le Creuset for some time now and am now down to the task of deciding which pieces to add. We are a family of 4 (have a 4.5 yr old and 18 month old) and may considering adding one or two more in the future. In addition we like to entertain and I love to cook, but am by no means a professional chef. Cost and weight are two of the biggest cons I know to the line, but I'm not too concerned about either at this point. The big question is this (to help me narrow down my selection):

What are your top 5 favorite Le Creuset pieces?

The ones I am considering are the 3.5 qt braiser/buffet, the 6.75 oval, the 12" skillet, the 2 qt 2-in-1 pan (offered by Sur La Table).

Should I consider the 5.5 qt round over the 6.75 oval? We make large amounts of soup, spaghetti sauce,etc. Is the 6.75 qt large enough for a turkey? There are no stores where I live that carry the cookware, so I am going on descriptions provided online as far as size.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Comments (4)

• sushipup1
    13 years ago

Be sure to also post in the Cooking Forum, There are lots of LeCreuset fans there, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cooking forum

• mlbeck
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the tip! Will do.

• stbonner
    13 years ago

I have tons of LeCreuset and I love all of it, but I'll try to narrow it down to my top 5 for you. The 3.5 qt buffet casserole is great and is a really versatile piece, as is the 5 qt buffet casserole (I have both). I use the smaller one the most, but my kids are grown now so it's just two of us at home - with a growing family you may get more use out of a 5 qt model.

I would also consider a 7 1/4 qt round. This is one of my most used pieces, and I have a 6.75 oval and a 5.5 round as well. Still, I find myself using the 7 qt round piece more than the others. Again, with a growing family I would go bigger rather than smaller if you are undecided.

I have to say, I have the skillet and I have quit using it in favor of my Lodge cast iron skillet. I actually prefer the Lodge as I don't have to worry about scorching the enamel outside when I am heat searing a steak or something similar. Also, the Lodge skillet is a bit thicker and I just like it better. It also costs a whopping $25.00 versus the LeCreuset skillet's $100.00 plus price tag, and this is one of the few LeC pieces I own that I don't think is really worth the money.

You may want to also look into the 9.5 qt oval dutch oven. You can cook double batches of soup, chili, etc. in it, and it would also work for a turkey.

One piece that I use constantly is my 2 qt round dutch oven. This is my grits, oatmeal, and rice pot and it works great.

Another piece I really like is a 3 1/2 qt wide dutch oven. These are great for casseroles, etc, but can also be used for pot roast or meats as well.

I hope this helps. I do like my 5.5 qt. round dutch oven, but I really do find that I almost always use the 7 qt instead - even with just two of us at home now. I find that if I'm going to make chili or soup I like to make a big batch and freeze the leftovers. With growing children I would choose bigger pieces over small since you are going to be cooking larger and larger amounts of food over the next 20 years or so.

• mlbeck
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks stbonner, that is VERY helpful. I think I will go bigger. Those sound like some good sizes to have.