Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bleepingroach_gw

what makes nonstick cookware, stick

bleepingroach
16 years ago

I bought Members mark cookware, well my husband did, and I has been wonderful. I cooked raw chicken in it with some oil and now the nonstick coating is sticking. My eggs used to just swirl around, now I have to use a spatula. Raw chicken ruined every George Forman grill I ever had, other non sticks, and now these. Does anyone think its the chicken? Has anyone else had this problem? Can it be reseasoned? Any help would be fantastic.

Comments (12)

• kimba00
    16 years ago

bleepingroach,

Sorry about your pans! Non-stick cookware is usually coated with Teflon. Teflon degrades over time, (even the expensive stuff) especially with high heat and thus loses it's non-stick abilities. The pans can still be used, as long as the Teflon is not scratched and chipping. Once that happens, you should replace them.

Personally, I don't like this aspect of Teflon. It's a shame to toss out perfectly good cookware (into our already taxed landfills) because the interior is shot when you can purchase good quality alternatives that will last for generations. Almost any pan can be non-stick if you pre-heat before adding food, use heart healthy olive oil and never use abrasive sponges or cleansers which etch the surface. My personal favorite cookware is Le Creuset.

• kayskats
    16 years ago

residual oil may be the culprit ... clean thoroughly with Bartenders Friend

do you use sprays? In my experience this is a killer of pans -- non-stick or uncoated.
    Clean thoroughly with Bartenders Friend or Bon Ami and a Dobie pad -- none of them abrasive ... rinse and see if that helps.
    If they've been overheated and started to shed the coating, get a new pot. Tough Luv!!

kimba's got it right
    "Almost any pan can be non-stick if you pre-heat before adding food, use heart healthy olive oil and never use abrasive sponges or cleansers which etch the surface."

I also think you need to preheat the pan before adding the olive oil. And I never put my pots in the dishwasher -- the detergent will etch them
    I just bought some new Calphalon Contemporary Stainless and the only thing I've had stick is scrambled eggs -- I think I'll overcome that shortcoming with time.

• lindac
    16 years ago

How old is your Members mark cook ware? Non stick stuff doesn't last forever....I am very careful of mine and buy good quality and can get easily 6 or 7 years out of a pan.
    Chicken nor eggs won't cause a non stick surface to stick....but cooking residu will. I wouldn't use Barkeepers Friend on non stick... but liquid dish detergent and a plastic scrubber ( like a Dobie pad) will work just fine.
    Linda C

• asolo
    16 years ago

I've never had any brand of non-stick pan that lasted more than a year or two. Less if used regularly. IMHO, that's just how it is. Accordingly, I purchase the least expensive coated skillets I can as long as they appear to be well-designed otherwise. I know they won't last like non-coated skillets but they're sure nice for a while.

• lindac
    16 years ago

And, aslo, you get what you pay for.
    I buy Meyer professional or other professional weight cook ware. The pan I tossed about 3 years ago was about 10 years old...not used daily but easily 3 times a week...eggs, a burger, chicken breast for 1, a few veggies to put into a sauce.
    But of course I use silicone or perhaps wooden utensils....and for sure don't scrub with Barkeeper's friend.
    If your non stick only lasts 2 for 3 years you are not spending $25 for an 8 inch pan....
    Cheap non stick is awful!!...that's the stuff you send to college with your kid knowing it will last about a semester.
    Linda C

• asolo
    16 years ago

As close as I've come to "upscale" has been ScanPan 10" skillets -- about $95.00. They're OK for 2-3 years depending on usage but that's it. (yes I do moderate heat and use suitable utensils) They do honor their warranty but the shipping still costs 20-25 dollars. Calphalons have been nothing special.

If your Meyer professional and/or others are better than that, I'm interested in learning more. I 'm not particularly price sensitive. However, I've spent plenty over the years buying various claims that weren't true at high prices. I'd love to find a non-stick that lasts. Can you tell me more?

• kayskats
    16 years ago

just reread my Calphalon instructions and they emphasize that you shouldn't put cold food in a hot skillet -- any surface -- let it warm up about 10 minutes, then heat the pan and proceed.
    they don't say what to do about frozen foods .. most of which you wouldn't want to completely thaw first. (that's my daughter's kind of cooking -- heat and eat)

• bleepingroach
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thanks for all the great tips. My cookware was given to me for my birthday last july, so not old at all, the cookware, not me. I NEVER use anything metal in my pans and just use mild soap and water to clean. I have purchased a pot rack that saves on paper towels I used in between pans. After posting, I tried seasoning the skillet again, with oil and cooking it for two minutes on stove top, and top shelf it works again. I think, I will do that every few days or so to keep it fresh. Thanks again for all you help and tips.

• Jibbs
    16 years ago

From what I've picked up over the years....a pan without a non-stick surface should be heated before adding the oil, while a pan with a non-stick surface should be heated only after adding the oil.

• marys1000
    16 years ago

What is a dobie pad? I usually use the yellow and green sponges, yellow sponge, green side scrubby.
    Is that bad?

• kimba00
    16 years ago

marys1000,

Those scotchbrite yellow and green sponges are very abrasive. They will surely etch your cookware and any surface they come in contact with. The problem is once you start using them, you will have to continue because once the surface is etched, everything will stick and require more scrubbing. When our kitchen was renovated 2 years ago, I bought all new cookware. Some was Le Creuset, some All Clad stainless. It was an expensive investment and the first thing I did was toss out every scrubby sponge, and every abrasive cleanser (comet, ajax etc). I didn't want anyone using them inadvertantly on my new sink or my new cookware. I bought bon ami, baking soda, a plastic pot scraper, and pot brushes. In two years my new cookware continues to be non-stick. My cookware and my sink looks brand new and, washes up beautifully every time. I even went as far as to get rid of metal utensils and replace with bamboo and high heat silicone spoons spatulas and whisk.

• marys1000
    16 years ago

Oh hey, I love my scotch brand scrubbies! :(