Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dinieg

Cookware choice Stainless Steel good set!

dinieg
12 years ago

I keep a kosher home and need 2 sets of cookware. I have All-clad for meat section(very happy). I now need a new one for Dairy (pasta, sauces, soup). I do a fair amount of cooking and dont mind spending. I want a great quality and dont want to buy another one for a long time. I have a gas stovetop. Stainless steel is my preference. Please help! there is so much out there.

Comments (6)

• djg1
    12 years ago

Maybe just a different line of All-clad so that you have some sort of visual cue to differentiate the dairy set? The brushed exterior? The black (Ltd2)?

If you don't have a strong preference for US manufacture, you might look at the Calphalon tri-ply. I have a couple of pieces and they seem pretty good.

• dinieg
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I do want them to look difference as not to mix them up. I was looking in to Calphalon. whats the diffence with the tri-ply and the Calphalon Contemperay set?

• ntt_hou
    12 years ago

The Calphalon tri-ply and Contemporary set different in the design and finish (one is glossy, the other is brushed). Both designs, however, are still made of tri-ply material (alumninum core with SS outside layers) throughout the pots/pans. Don't be confused with their Simply Calphalon cookwares. The tri-ply material is only located at the bottom of the pots/pans.

• ntt_hou
    12 years ago

I forgot to mention that the Calphalon Contemporary cookware has a slightly convex bottom. It's not suitable for induction. Whereas, the Calphalon triply SS cookware has a flat bottom and it is made for induction as well.

• dinieg
    Original Author
    12 years ago

you are saying that between those 2 there is not much of a difference? so why is the tri-ply 100$ cheaper ?

• ntt_hou
    12 years ago

No, they're not exactly the same. The Contemporary triply SS is more popular than the triply glossy SS. Therefore, the tri-ply glossy SS is cheaper. It's what we call Consumer Demand.

Let me compare the 2 Calphalon sets again for you.

Similarities:

- Both are made of triply on the base and the sides.
    - Both have glass lids.
    - Both are oven safe up to 700F degree and 450F degree for the glass lids.

Differences:

- The designs of both are different.
    - Besides the shapes, the Contemporary has a brushed stainless steel finish. Whereas, the triply SS has a glossy stainless steel finish.
    - The Contemporary has a convex bottom which is not suitable for induction. The glossy SS has a flat bottom, good for using on induction cooktop.

I do own both styles. Since I don't have induction cooktop, my preference of course was the Contemporary set for its style. I have the whole set of the Contemporary triply SS. Later, I stumbled upon some individual pieces of the glossy triply SS. The prices were too good to pass and they were in the size that I need and use often.

If you're still unclear, you can email to Calphalon for questions. They're actually pretty good in sending reply within 24 hours (weekdays).