Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Difficulty with dough hook - Delonghi DS7

Posted by fierljepper (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 7, 07 at 17:07

I've got a new Delonghi mixer (burned through two Kitchenaids in the last 10 years) as well have just switched to using only fresh ground whole wheat.

I'm failing at being able to knead well with the dough hook. Everything just clings to the outside of the bowl while the the dough hook spins inside. I coax and prod with rubber spatula, but it just doesn't take and form a nice ball like my bread flour and kitchen would do.

Today I just adjusted my dough hook so it is lower and closer to the bowl, but it didn't appear any different.

My process is toss all ingredients into the bowl, put on dough hook and turn it on. Adjust moisture by adding add'l water or flour.

Frustrating.....

Any ideas?
I almost went with the Bosch with the different style kneading hooks....would this have been a better choice for me?

Regards,
Rick in PA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Difficulty with dough hook - Delonghi DS7

Do it in two steps;
First add the yeast/oil/sugar to the bowl plus all of the warm water and about 1/4 of the flour and mix to a pancake batter like consistency, about 1 min.
Stop the machine and add all the remaining flour along with all the salt and start mixing again. Whole grain flour can get awfully sticky compared to regular bread flour so you may need to reduce the water a bit or add a bit more flour than you normally would right from the beginning. It's always better to get it right from the beginning because adding water or flour once the dough begins to form a ball just causes it to slide around in the bowl and not get proper kneading.
You can't just take a regular bread flour recipe and substitute whole wheat flour without readjusting the flour amount or the water amount somewhat.

I've made bread dough in both the similar Kenwood and my Bosch and the Bosch is far easier and more thorough but even it will have dough sliding round or sticking if you don't get the proportions correct from the start.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here