Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
2 things: non-China ceramics and Flour etc. canisters

Posted by marys1000 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 10, 10 at 14:13

I'm searching for recommendations on canisters for flour and sugar. I have been looking for something that you can dip a measuring cup into easily so i.e. a wide top especially for flour and also sugar. I am trying to stay away from made in China. Light would be nice but that would probably mean plastic. Willing to look for older items on ebay if necessary.
Do you have something you love?

Also - I know about Denby for pottery/ceramic dishes that are not made in China (pretty sure anyway)and most of Fiesta. Any other recommendations for casual, rustic looking dishes, bowls, serving bowls etc.?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 2 things: non-China ceramics and Flour etc. canisters

I use big, heavy glass apothecary jars for my flour and sugar. They each hold ten pounds. I have an old-fashioned kitchen, so they fit right in and are practical too. I never have to peek inside to see if I need to fill them. I keep a metal scoop in each one, and yes....a measuring cup fits right in them easily.

o

Calliope - I would prefer something smaller. Do they make them smaller and where do you get them?

o

Yes, they're made in all sizes. I think I paid five dollars apiece for mine at a job lot store. Most anyplace who sells kitchen ware has large glass jars. You just don't notice it because you are thinking ceramic. As soon as I saw these, I thought of flour and sugar and then got a smaller one for coffee.

o

I use a large Tupperware container that holds about 6 pounds of flour and another one that holds a little more than a pound of sugar. I have used them for 30 years and do not get any ants or weevils because the lids fit so tightly. I store them in my pantry as they are not decorative, just utilitarian.

o

Yea I'm looking for utilitarian too but I'm trying to stay away from plastic and ceramic made in china. I do use plastic all the time, just trying to use something else if I have choice.

On eBay they have those old spun aluminum canisters. I've been wondering how well they seal. There's an auction now for a set that's brand new never out of the box. Sort of ugly but they aren't for the counter. Wish I new more about them.

o
This might be promising

But I'm not that near an Ikea and they aren't available on line!

Droppar jar with lid

Here is a link that might be useful: 7

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here