Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which digital kitchen scale?

Posted by fatlester (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 17, 05 at 13:02

After 30 years, my wonderful small Cuisinart balance scale gave out and the Terrallion 5-pound scale (same age) got heat stroke so the top no longer fits.

And given my aging eyes, I think a digi scale with a big readout is a good idea for Mother's Day!

So, those with digi scales, what's important? Which brands are great?

TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which digital kitchen scale?

I recently bought a Polder digital kitchen scale, very smart looking and it has a built in timer and a built in removeable meat/oven thermometer. Also can be set for grams or pounds/ounces

o

Jane, I think this one would look great in your kitchen...

Here is a link that might be useful: Soehnle Digital Kitchen Scale

o

Claire -- You are truly a mind reader! I had seen that very scale, and was considering it, but couldn't remember the brand name. Thank you so much. Just perfect.

o

I've seen that same Soehnle scale and it is indeed very nice. My Polder is somwhat similar with the glass top and curved base. I have a Soehnle digital bathroom scale for years now and it's very well made and bang on accurate with my doctors big balance scale.

o

I bought a new one recently. A Salter Electronic Aquatronic. Great if you like to bake. I had an older Salter that still works but this one had a few more options which I liked. You can weigh both liquids (fluid Oz) as well as dry, and it adjusts from Kilograms to ounces.

Ann

o

Ann, I have that same Salter and it is perfect! I put mine into a ziplock bag, and I use it with the bag on it. Keeps it perfectly clean and I can put messy things on it. Works like a charm.

o

Ohh great idea Helene. I'll have to give that a try.

Ann

o

I am pretty sure that Cook's Illustrated did a comparative evaluation sometime in the past couple of years of various kitchen scales. I'll look through my collection in the next few days, if I can, and try to find it.

o

Soehnle.. the Attache Digital Food Scale is one of my favorites, but they are all very high quality items.

o

I have a Salter model number 6055 that I love. What I like (besides the looks) is that it weighs in 1 gram increments and weighs up to 11 lbs. This makes it great for salt to bulk bread dough.

Here is a link that might be useful: Salter model 6055

o
Oops!

I forgot to add that my old eyes can read the digital display without my glasses. That's a biggie!!

o

I got my scale from a Laboratory supply catalogue. I work in the food manufacturing industry and these are the scales used in food labs. I am in Canada and ordered mine from Canada Wide Scientific. It has a tare button, so you could put your bowl on first, press tare to zero out the weight of the bowl and then measure the ingredients. It's a great no mess way to measure butter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here