Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vonfirmath

Using a Salad spinner to get grease off hamburger?

littleprincess
16 years ago

Has anyone else used a salad spinner to get the grease off cooked hamburger? Is it worth the space the spinner takes up for this task? Does it make the spinner (Everyone I have seen is plastic) all icky and hard to clean?

Does it get more grease off than spooning it off with a spoon?

Comments (9)

• MonkeyK
    16 years ago

I would imagine that a spinner would result in the smaller pieces of hamburger getting spun out with the grease.

I just put something small under one side of the pan and then move the hamburger to the higher side and let it drain.

If that were not enough, I imagine a next step would be to put it in a sieve or on some paper towel.

• lindac
    16 years ago

If you really want to get grease out of hamburger, brown it then add water and bring it to a boil and then just strain it.
    A Salad spinner would be the hard way to do it.
    Linda C

• asolo
    16 years ago

Maybe buy leaner hamburger meat? I switched to grass fed "93%". Little grease and my guests and family like it better.

• gizmonike
    16 years ago

Several ways:

Line a strainer with paper towels, & let browned meat drain in there for a few minutes.

If you are cooking hamburger for casseroles or soups, put the raw hamburger in the pasta insert section of a pasta cooker, and steam over an inch of boiling water for about 10 minutes, breaking the meat up into smaller bits every so often. The grease will drip out into the water. Putting a heaping cup of cooked hamburger into a freezer bag & freezing is the equivalent of a pound of raw meat; this is an easy way to have it on hand for quick meal prep.

• westsider40
    15 years ago

Also, I drain it in a colander over a bunch of paper garbage so as to not clog up my sink. You may possibly lose a teaspoon of small meat particles-worht it for me.

• cooksnsews
    15 years ago

If I'm using ground beef for soups or pasta sauce, I sometimes "degrease" it by partially cooking it in a plastic seive over a bowl in the microwave. Not only grease, but lots of water, which many butchers use to "bulk up" the product is released. I can brown it the rest of the way in a pan.

Of course, now some of our friends are cautioning against using any plastics in the mw for health reasons, or even using that appliance at all.....

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    15 years ago

Ditto to LindaC's post. The boiling water combined with straining will remove more grease than other methods. And the hamburger is still chunky.

• bigshoes213
    15 years ago

I don't use my salad spinner for anything but to dry my lettuce but I love it. I bought mine at Walmart for about $3. Granted it is not very pretty but it works and then I just take it apart and place it on the top shelf of the dishwasher and it is clean. I would think you would lose a lot of the hamburger meat using a salad spinner though and hot grease would get everywhere. I just pat my hamburger meat down with a paper towel or two till it does not absorb anymore.

• kimberlee_gmail_com
    13 years ago

I have it, use the Wonder Pour kitchen spout. It was MADE to strain the grease off fried up hamburger and bacon. You can easily pour it into a container for proper disposal. It also pours cupcakes, soup no more mess!

Here is a link that might be useful: WonderPour Silicone Kitchen Spout

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022