Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul_ma_gw

disenchanted with new All Clad pans

paul_ma
12 years ago

This is my first post in this forum, so sorry if this is a dumb question. (I used to frequent the kitchen forum, but not since my kitchen was finished.) I did search for discussions of this but found nothing at all recent.

After coveting All Clad pans for some time, I finally got a really good deal on a couple of fry pans a few months ago. ($70 for both a 10" and 12" fry pan at Williams Sonoma, on close out sale.)

Previously I was using a big disk-base saute pan (Cuisinarte) for most frying and sauteeing. That works pretty well, but I find that I get scorch marks on the side sometimes. I was expecting that the All Clad pans would eliminate that problem.

What I find instead is that every time I use the All Clad pans to fry, I get a lot of brown burned on oil all around the sides (inside) of the pan. It takes a lot of bar keepers friend and elbow grease to get that off.

It seems to me that this is an unexpected consequence of the design of the pans. The main feature - uniform conductivity - means that the sides get hot, so that any oil that gets up there will start to burn. Note that I don't see this on the flat bottom of the pan where most of the cooking, and most of the oil, are.

Is this just a fact of life? Am I just cooking at too high a temperature?

Comments (4)