Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deanna_goldberg

Talk to me about Pressure Cookers...

Deanna Goldberg
20 years ago

Any pressure cooker enthusiasts out there? I recently heard an author being interviewed on a radio cooking show - she has written several cookbooks devoted to pressure cooking, and I was intrigued. After that, someone from my synagogue told me she loves her pressure cookers, and now I'm even more interested. I'd love to hear from folks who are into pressure cooking.... Do you find that it really saves time? Is the food as flavorful as when it's cooked the traditional way? What kinds of pressure cookers are available, and what should one look for in a good pressure cooker?

Comments (73)

• Konrad___far_north
    19 years ago

I bought a Kuhn Rikon Stainless Steel, some 28 years ago, when I was single, took it over from Switzerland.
    I was over there this year for a visit [not far from the factory] and I went there to pick up
    a new Rubber seal, with disappointment, they told me it's not available anymore, because of the age.
    Well, I have talked to other people and they told me that I still can get it in a Department Store, which
    I did, 3 of them, but as I came back to Canada I had to find out that they are slightly thinner then the old one
    and they just leak.
    Now, it looks like I might still have to get a new one.
    In Switzerland, it seems like every household has one of them.
    My Mom used them already 50 years ago.
    I think it uses less energy then any other method of cooking.
    I do mostly Potato, but good for allot of other dishes.
    When buying one, I would spend good money to by the very best one out there, nice and heavy, because it keeps the heat in longer.
    When I do a pot full of Potato, it will take about 15 min. to bring it to Temperature, then turn heat off and in another 15 min. they are done, it's clean, no steam in the Kitchen when cooking.
    Konrad

• teresa_nc7
    19 years ago

Just made my first recipe in my new pressure cooker. It's a good old Presto, 4 qts., stainless steel. It cooks just like my mom's 58 year old aluminum Presto with the wood handles - very well! I made Beef Goulash Budapest in it tonight and it turned out wonderfully delicious. This PC was $49.99 at pressurecooker-outlet.com and suits me and my budget. Just thought I would report in.

• kframe19
    19 years ago

I was at a party over the weekend where my friend made chicken BBQ in the pressure cooker.

Talk about good! Not at all dry, and the flavor was completely through the meat.

• JessyFeldm_speakeasy
    19 years ago

kframe19

Can you get the recipe? Sounds good!

• jhart3
    19 years ago

Check out Kuhn Rikon. They are the best.

• ARiley
    19 years ago

bump -- let's not let this scroll off the end

• ANdj_WI
    19 years ago

LOVE MINE - plural. I would give up the microwave before I would give up my PCs. My first was a Presto from a garage sale - It still works fine. Last year I splurged on a Kuhn-Rikon (check Amazon for sales) and it is heavenly. The ability to reduce the heat quickly with the top button is a big plus, compared to running cold water over the lid. I also have an electric Presto I use with a timer on the power cord. Lorna Sass has excellent recipes in her PC books: Risotto, Beans and Rice, Soups, even Rice Pudding and Cheesecake (very moist!). Most any stew recipe can be adapted, but expect it to be a bit on the moist side as there is less water loss than with other methods.

Quick Stew
    15 minutes, 3 ingredients

One bag frozen stew veggies - your choice
    One can french onion soup
    One lb stew meat

Put in PC, bring to high pressure, cook 10 minutes, quick release, eat.

• chitownfifi
    19 years ago

Hi, I'm new here and I am getting excited about pressure cooking after reading all of these posts. I am leaning toward Kuhn Rikon, but I don't know what shape. I need something fairly large - I want to be able to cook a whole chicken inside. Any advice on shapes/sizes that would be best?? Even if it is not this particular vendor? I've never tried to pressure cook, and didn't grow up with anyone who did either, so this is new to me.

• steve_o
    19 years ago

Hmm ... I've never seen a pressure cooker that was any shape but round. Something to do with equal pressure all around, I'd guess. I'd love to see one that isn't round, though, just to see how they address that issue.

Anyway, assuming round is all that's out there, you'll want a bigger one. You're not supposed to fill pressure cookers to the brim, so if you want to put in a whole chicken, you'll need a good sized pot -- I think my 6-quart could handle a "normal" (3 1/2 - 4 pound) chicken ; you might want to heft a 6-quart and an 8-quart cooker and see if you have any problems lifting a pot full of chicken and maybe some vegetables and some liquid.

BTW, if you've never had pressure-cooked chicken before, be aware that it does not come out at all crispy or roasted. It's very moist (mushy if you overcook it) and the skin is -- well, IMHO, best removed and tossed out. Still mighty tasty, but maybe not what you expect if you're new to pressure-cooking. Give it a try and see what you think!

• pkguy
    19 years ago

I have never seen anything but round either and I've never seen an electric one. Other than that I think the looks, capacity and easy of use are the distinguishing factors between the different brands not necessarily that one cooks better than another. There are quite a few brands out there, Presto, Mirro, Kuhn, Jasi, T-Fal, just be sure that the brand you buy has easy to find gasket replacements. Otherwise in a few years you may be sitting with just a regular pot that no longer holds pressure. Touch wood my decade old Presto hasn't needed a new gasket yet. My newer T-fal works like a charm with its instant pressure release valve on the lid.

• arley_gw
    19 years ago

I have had a few pressure cookers. Right now my fave is the Kuhn Rikon 6 qt stockpot. My only regret is that I didn't get the 8 qt stockpot instead; still, most recipes are written for a 6 quart one anyway. Great response, cooks like a dream. One that I am lusting after right now is the 5 liter pressure frypan(item #3412). I can't really justify the purchase, but maybe the spouse will take the hint and I'll get it for a birthday...

Pressure cooking is great for comfort foods: stews, pot roasts, etc. Taste like you spent hours on them. Terrific. Also great for some veggies. Artichokes steamed in minutes instead of hours. Corned beef & cabbage in under an hour. Also, it's a snap to make stock. Some fancy stuff is really easy: IMHO, osso buco made in the pressure cooker is better than making it the old-fashioned slow way. Foolproof risotto, also.

It's great for braising: browning meats then adding liquid and cooking.

Buy any of Lorna Sass's pressure cooker cookbooks. I have 3 of them, and if I had to limit myself to one it would have to be "Cooking Under Pressure". She has a new one out now which I have not seen (Pressure Perfect) but will probably get since all the others I have by her are great.

In the Gardenweb Harvest forum I wrote rather loquaciously about Pressure Cookers & canners; I'll try to link to it if it is still active. My post is the Dec. 29th one, but there are lots of other people giving input as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: pressure cooker advice

• ANdj_WI
    19 years ago

Sadly, I think Presto is no longer making the electric cookers. They do have PC recipes on line (link below). The pressure seems to infuse any spice flavors deeply into your dish. Don't tell anyone you used a pressure cooker, and they will never know you were not slaving over a hot stove for hours. But watch out for things that might overcook -- cabbage goes from great to mush very fast.

Avoid non-stick linings - they just cannot take the pressure and heat and flake off worse than an old TFal pan. So I'd recommend stainless or other type. The new generation are worth the extra money, if you can swing it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Presto Pressure Cooker Recipes

• davejnh
    19 years ago

I have an 8qt Magfesa and use it all the time. It's great for tenderizing meats like pork ribs, corned beef and pre-cooking chicken before the grill. My favorite is to marinate pork ribs overnight, then pressure cook on high for 30 minutes, apply barbecue sauce and finish in the oven or on the grill. The meat is so tender it falls off the bones.
    DJ

• NancM
    19 years ago

I recently picked up a 4 qt.Farberware programmable cooker at an outlet store. I was a little nervous about pressure cooking, but this is so easy, just put the ingredients in the pot and set the time. The timer starts after it brings itself to full pressure. Cooked potatoes in just 6 minutes, lentils in 10.

• donna_loomis
    18 years ago

I hit the jackpot a week ago at a garage sale. I got an electric oval programmable 8-quart non-stick Cook's Essentials pressure cooker, new and in the box, for $10. I loved my 4-quart non-electric one, but I will be using this one often. Made a 5.5 pound roast with vegetables the first night after I got it. Beans and ham hocks the next day. Beef and Barley night before last. We often don't get home from work until 7:30 or 8:00 p.m. and I hate eating at 9:00 p.m. I JUST LOVE IT!

Here is a link that might be useful: the pot

• HiDez
    18 years ago

I love my pressure cookers, have two Kuhn Rikon a large one and a skillet sized one - and Lorna Sass' cookbooks. I really enjoy the cheesecake recipes from her book. I was amazed that it was possible to make cheesecake in a pressure cooker and just had to try it out.

I also have an old aluminum Presto but don't even have the lid any longer - we outfitted it with a loose fitting lid from another pot and have been using it to make popcorn for the last 35 years! It makes a dandy popcorn popper. A loose fitting lid lets the steam out so the popcorn doesn't get soggy.

• Plannersis
    18 years ago

My Mom just got a NordicWare Tender Cooker Microwave pressure cooker (at a garage sale) and we don't have the cookbook for it. Would someone help me please find the cookbook, or if you have one, could you possibly scan or fax it? Would really love the help, thanks so much. My email is cdgarci@highstream.net

• twocats_wy
    18 years ago

Plannersis -- Since that's a current product, you can try Nordic Ware Customer Service (see info below from the NW website):

How can I contact your company?
    Just call us at 1 -877-466-7342 Monday through Friday between 8am and 4:00pm CST and our Consumer Representatives will be happy to assist you.

I have a Nordic Ware product but I lost the directions.
    Call our Consumer Services department at1 -877-466-7342 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Central and we will be happy to send you the directions in the mail.

I have a Tender Cooker and would like to order replacement parts for it.
    We still do manufacture our microwave pressure cooker. The Tender Cooker and all replacement parts can be ordered directly through our Consumer line at 1 -877-466-7342 ext. 629.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nordic Ware Tender Cooker

• suzyq3
    18 years ago

HiDez,

I also have the Kuhn-Rikon large pressure cooker and the skillet size. The skillet size is perfect for so many dishes, including risotto.

But I actually bought that one because it was recommended by Madhur Jaffrey, who uses that size cooker for so many of the recipes in "Madhur Jaffrey's Quick and Easy Indian Cooking," one of my favorite cookbooks.

• PCs_are_great
    18 years ago

In case youÂre curious, go to "How It Works" on the site http://fastcooking.ca (link below) for an explanation of how Fagor pressure cookers work. I use a pressure cooker almost on a daily basis because of their speed and the great food flavors possible when using a pressure cooker. Much, much faster than a slow cooker.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fagor pressure cookers

• gailr
    18 years ago

LOVE pressure cooker cooking!

I have a Bravetti set, 2 pots, 8QT and 3.5QT, with interchangeable lids .. the PC pressure cover & gasket and a tempered glass, see-thru lid. The pots have heavy bottoms, an encapsulated thermic base. The vinyl gasket is thick and substantial .. all you do is keep a thin coating of vegetable oil on the gasket to prevent its drying out and cracking. Also included was a stainless steel steaming basket with handle.

It has a pressure selector dial for 3 pressure settings. Quick pressure release. Cool touch handles. Handle lock release mechanism for 1-handed opening & closing. The locking mechanism prevents the lid from being opened when any pressure exists inside of the unit. There are several safety vents to blow, preventing too much pressure from building up.

I find foods come out retaining their color and taste better than when using other cooking methods. And cheaper, tough cuts of meat come out tender .. I just cooked a flat cut beef brisket pot roast with veggies in mine that came out wonderfully tender and tasty.

Love using it for veggies .. green beans come out green and fresh looking, not mushy unless you overcook. Sweet potatos pop right out of their peels (cut lengthwise before cooking), white potatos cook to easy mashing soft in under 8 minutes.

I make the best homemade soups in my PC and they are almost no work at all and I don't have to stand around the kitchen all day (unless I want to!)

These modern pressure cookers are very safe to use. I would hate to have to do without my pressure cooker!

Gail R (WNY)

• loriafopiano
    18 years ago

Hi, all,

Well, after listening to a friend and reading this thread for the past few months, I've gone ahead and ordered a pressure cooker on amazon. Can't wait for it to arrive!

I'd like to prepare meals in it as so many of you others have, and am interested in those Lorna Sass books. It seems some are not readily available new (perhaps out of publication?), so I don't have the opportunity to actually look through them to choose one. The one entitled "Cooking Under Pressure" looks like it was published in about 1989. Anyway, I can find this as a used book but want to know if those of you who have it find the recipes still relevant today and would still recommend it or if there are others that you think are better.

Thanks for your help!

Lori

• samait
    18 years ago

I need an instructions manual for my Ultrex II 8-Quart Pressure Cooker, from the Home Shopping Network, STYLE: 11771 Item No: 414964.

This is the new model with a knob on the handle, used to set the pressure regulator. There is no Jiggler on this model, it's built into the handle and controlled by the knob.

I don't know what the pressure settings are. The dial markings by the knob say OPEN, LOW and HIGH. I don't know if LOW means 5-Lbs. and HIGH is for 10-Lbs. or 15-Lbs.

There seems to be some settings between LOW and HIGH, as I turn the knob, but there's no markings between LOW and HIGH.

I'm hoping someone has one of these and can help me with instructions or a copy of the instructions.

Please help me if you can.

Sam
    samait@cisbec.net
    www.samait.net

Here is a link that might be useful: Innova professional stainless steel cookware and coffee beans

• glassquilt
    18 years ago

Sam -- If nothing else you can get a food of your choice, cut into uniform shapes and experiment. Use the same amount and cook at each setting for different lengths of time. Keep a record of what you do and the results. Our grandmothers cooked by trial & error using wood burning stoves/ovens. We have the advantage of dials to control the heat source.

As for no markings in between the LOW & HIGH, make your own - you can do it with careful neat scratches.

• awm03
    18 years ago

Bought my pressure cooker last Saturday. Trying chicken cacciatore tonight. Wish me luck!

Do you all cook your meats first then cook the veggies later? I tried a chicken vegetable soup, and the veggies were mushy. Any tips will be very much appreciated.

• gailr
    18 years ago

I usually follow the instructions in a recipe. yes, I usually cook the meat first and then add the veggies later, as most veggies, inc potato, cook in well under 8 minutes.

Gail R (WNY)

• demicent
    18 years ago

Since I'm thinking about an induction cooktop, I wonder if anyone has a pressure cooker they use with induction? How is that working out for you?

• shambo
    18 years ago

I just got an induction cooktop and was also interested in a compatible pressure cooker. A Google search turned up the Fagor Splendid as an option. Here's the info:

FAGOR SPLENDID PRESSURE COOKER

* Reduces cooking time by as much as 70%
    * One pressure setting - high (15 psi, 250°F), the most popular setting, plus gourmet steam only setting.
    * 18/10 high quality stainless steel construction with mirror finish.
    * Impact bonded thermo heat conductive base places aluminum between two layers of stainless steel for even heat distribution.
    * Easy to clean - dishwasher safe body.
    * Ideal for use on all heat sources including gas, electric, ceramic top and induction.
    * Triple safety system includes safety lock on handle, stainless steel pressure control valve with color indicator to monitor cooking pressure and two independent over- pressure release valves.
    * Safety system prevents cooker from opening under pressure.
    * Available in 4 qt, 6 qt, 7 and 10 quart sizes.
    * Comes with detailed instructions and Fagor cookbook with over 50 recipes.
    * Made in Spain.
    * U.L. approved.
    * 7 & 10 qt sizes are 10" diameter.
    * 4 & 6 qt sizes are 9" in diameter.
    * Weight: 4qt - 7.5lbs, 6qt - 8.25 lbs., 7qt - 9.25lbs., 10 qt - 11 lbs.
    * 10 Year warranty.

• romele
    18 years ago

Does anyone know what are the differences between these FAGOR models: Rapida, Elite, and Splendid. I can't decide which one to get. Thanks.

• eandhl
    18 years ago

I think the rapida is the most basic.
    Do a search for Fagor Pressure cookers, Fagor has a site and explains everything. I have the duo set and love them. I think the Duo is mid range fagor.

• bryansda
    18 years ago

I just bought a new pressure cooker last night. I found a 5 quart, stainless steel on sale at Proffitt's for $29. I have an 8 qt. but wanted something smaller. I cook to fill the pot and with there just being 2 us, I cook way too much at once....LOL.

• romele
    18 years ago

Does Fagor have pressure indicator?

• teresa_nc7
    18 years ago

Recently I checked out two PC cookbooks at our public library. One was Lorna Sass's Pressure Perfect, a comprehensive book with time charts and lots of good recipes. I found several recipes in this book that I want to try. This more recent book may be easier to find than her first book.

The second book was Victoria Wise's Pressure Cooker Gourmet, or some similar title. The recipes in her book didn't appeal to me as much, and I can cook "gourmet" as well as the next person. Maybe the recipes had more ingredients that might be hard for me to find in my little burg.

Just My Opinion - Your Mileage May Vary
    Teresa

• awm03
    18 years ago

So far I've made chicken veggie soup, chicken cacciatore "soup" (too much liquid, but it was so delicious, I made it again the same way on purpose!) and tonight I made wonderful brown rice in 20 minutes. I like the chug-a-chug-a sound of the weight -- makes me feel like a train engineer :)
    At Barnes & Noble I picked up "The New Pressure Cooker Cookbook" by Pat Dailey. The recipes look just right: not too exotic, not too mundane.

• steve_o
    18 years ago

Does Fagor have pressure indicator?

I don't know exactly what you mean, but there is a plunger that sticks up if pressure exists in the pot. If you're talking about an indicator of how much pressure is being generated, my Fagor Duo has two settings for pressure. The settings are on a rotary switch, so I can tell at a glance whether it is set for low or high pressure.

• brucedelta
    18 years ago

I see from the web that Kuhn Rikon should work on induction. I thought I tried a megnet on it and found it did not stick.

Does anyone use one of these with induction?

Can anyone who ownes one test if a magnet sticks to theirs, maybe I tried another brand.

• brucedelta
    18 years ago

I tried the Kuhn Rikon with a magnet and the bottom is in fact magnetic while the side is not.

• chisue
    18 years ago

What a great thread!

I still use my mother's Flex-Seal pressure cooker, manufactured in Chicago by Vischer Products. The booklet w/recipes is dated 1948. The cooker has the toggle on top that hisses a warning when pressure is too high. Yes, I did once "let 'er blow", and decorated the ceiling with beef stew juices. (It's easier to use gas than electric stoves when pressure cooking!) This thing is so old that the booklet includes instructions on adjusting the handle by "turning the screw with a bobby pin." I believe there was once a rubber gasket; there is none now -- yet the pot seals perfectly.

I was thinking about getting something new and "better", but not sure I want to spend $200 for a Kuhn Rikon. I seldom use the cooker for anything other than soups or stew. The microwave is fine for most veggies today.

I think these new cookers are probably as heavy or heavier than my old model. Does anyone know how much they weigh?
    Does anyone else still use "an antique"?

• English_Cottage
    18 years ago

ChiSue,

My 7-liter Kuhn Rikon weighs 7 pounds.

brucedelta,

I just tried a magnet on mine and it did stick.

• chisue
    18 years ago

Thank you English_Cottage. So they still weigh a ton! But you don't have to lift them to the sink to reduce pressure with running water, so that's a help. I'm still *thinking* about a replacement.

• triciae
    18 years ago

Looks like a lot of good recipes here...

Here is a link that might be useful: Pressure Cooker Recipes

• queenmoonpye
    17 years ago

Anybody got an instruction manual for the Flex Seal they'd be willing to photocopy or scan for me and send in email?

• kitchendetective
    17 years ago

I bought a Kuhn Rikon specifically for risotto and it was fabulous--for about six months. It has never worked as well since, despite my conversations with the company and ordering replacement safety valves and gaskets. I am really disappointed. I have an old Magnafesa that I started using when cooking on sailing trips. It's great for stew, but it's not state-of-the-art. I'm very disappointed in the Kuhn-Rikon.

• suzyq3
    17 years ago

kitchendetective, I'm surprised to hear that. We have two KR pressure cookers -- a large one and also the 5 qt pressure fryer so highly touted by Madhur Jaffrey for many of her Indian dishes -- and have always had outstanding results.

Yours is obviously a lemon. Would the company replace it for you?

• kitchendetective
    17 years ago

No, they wouldn't. First I went to the vendor, who said I needed to replace the gasket. Twice. By the time of the second attempt, the warranty had expired and the vendor no longer carried the item. Then K-R said the problem was the secondary valve under the green recipe ring. They referred me to a place for the replacement part. That place was very untogether and it took 5 weeks, a run-around, and several phone calls before I received the valve. Then it lessened the problem, but did not resolve it. I loved making what I used to refer to as "cheaters' risotto." Guests thought I had spent an hour carefully adding ladles of stock, when actually I had spent about 7 minutes. I still use the K-R, but without the great results.

• suzyq3
    17 years ago

kitchendetective, that is a shame. Yes, we love pressure cooker risotto too. My husband makes a risotto milanese to die for.

• bean_counter_z4
    17 years ago

I tried my new PC out last nite. 3-pound roast in 45 minutes. Extremely tender and a wonderful flavor. I absolutely love it. Just browned my meat right in the PC then added wine, broth and a little BBQ sauce, put on the lid and waited (about 15-min per pound). If I was going to nit-pick I would complain that the pan is very heavy. But for speed and great taste it's wonderful.

• lauriekilborn
    8 years ago

Love pressure cookers. Have a OnePot and a Fagor Duo.

I have used the OnePot a fair amount, love that you can either program it or do manual settings on high or low. It's a 6 quart size. I wish it was 12 quart size. I only started using an pressure cooker about 3 years ago, If only the electric had been around 30 years ago I would have used it .Electric is foolproof.

The Fagor Duo I've used twice,both times aloit of steam escapes using my glass top stove. This will take a little more practice to get used to,so that it gets a good seal without steam billowing out. I like that this is stainless steel rather than aluminum.

• Jo
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I'm bumping this topic because I need to bounce some ideas on buying a pressure cooker. Right now I have a T-fal that operates at a max of 12 psi and I'm looking for something that goes to 15 psi.

I have the option of buying a Fissler Vitaquick for the equivalent of about 100$, but couldn't really find any info on the operating pressure (wrote them an e-mail, haven't heard back yet).

Another option would be Kuhn Rikon, but from theamazon description, it also operates at about 12 psi.

My husband did find another option that goes up to 15 psi - Beem. It seems a very good choice seeing that it has two pots (one 4L and one 6 L) and a basket, and it also has good reviews. But I don't know anything about this brand.

What would you pick? I don't really want to go over 150 EUR, but if there's a very important reason to go over this amount, I could.

Thank you!

Edit: received an update from Fissler, all of their pressure cookers go to a max of 11 psi.

• haldd
    8 years ago

I have several pressure cookers and love them. I have the Fagor duo set, a large Presto, and the latest is a Cuisinart electric pressure cooker. I have been using the Cuisinart for several months now and have been very impressed. I've done chicken and beef recipes, veggies, soups, and chili. All turned out excellent. I find steaming whole potatoes in it gives them the best flavor - 24 minutes on high pressure using Yukon Gold potatoes, a very hard type of potato. Pot roast is another item that turns out wonderful. I haven't had any problems at all with the nonstick interior, or any other issues...as with all pressure cookers timing the cooking is most important, and the Cuisinart takes that part of cooking guess work away because of the built-in timer.

Has anyone here tried the Wolfgang Puck combination Microwave\Pressure Cooker? I've read a little about it online, but have never seen one in person. I'd like to hear experiences with it...