Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Exploding Pyrex glass baking pan

Posted by linda_tx8 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 11, 11 at 11:57

Has anyone had this happen? It happened to me yesterday! I was baking corned beef in a Pyrex pan and after cooking quite some while in a 325 degree oven, the baking pan just completely exploded! What an awful mess! I got as much as I could of the oodles of pieces of glass out of the oven last night, but still need to go in and clean out the rest...not to mention clean the oven...it's a mess! I didn't know glass baking pans could explode! Now, I googled it and apparently this has happened to lots of people and not just with the oven. I'm swearing off both glass bakeware and glass stovetop stuff, too. I'm tossing my glass saucepans. Ugh! Never ever again! Not after reading all those horror stories and having my own horror story also!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Exploding Pyrex glass baking pan

I am surprised you haven't heard about the Pyrex problems before. This has already been studied extensively and at length by Consumer Reports Magazine. It's also been reported on the news extensively. If you have older Pyrex, it should be fine. I'll link the Consumer Reports page on Pyrex and Anchor Hocking. There's a menu on the left side of the page that has all the different subtopics about Pyrex that Consumer Reports has written.

Here is a link that might be useful: Consumer Reports on Pyrex and Anchor Hocking

o

Nope, never heard a word! I watch news on TV and sometimes read the paper. Never heard anything. Believe me, if I'd heard about glass pans that can become "suicide bombs", so to speak, no glass cookware would have been in my house! Thanks for the link. Apparently, no glass cookware is safe. I'm 64 years old and there's enough horror out there in the world. So I don't need to have things exploding in my own house!

o

I have inherited some Pyrex/Anchor Hocking bakeware and also see it often at garage sales. Is there any way to tell from the markings whether it is the older 'safer' glass vs the newer material?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here