Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Burned Wok

Posted by pattister (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 29, 08 at 11:50

I have been keeping a wok in my dorm kitchen for two semesters now and it has been developing beautiful black seasoning -- I evaded disaster once by catching one of them right before taking some steel wool to it. However, six months later, despite making a public announcement to everyone on my floor that they can use it but are not to try cleaning it at all, they've found another way to give me grief about my wok;

My roommate turned on the wrong burner and when we finally figured out what that awful smell was, the black seasoning on top was bubbled and burned beyond recognition. Further inspection caused it to chip off and show shiny new steel underneath.

Do I need to start over? Some of the seasoning was left on the surface, and when I tried to cook something in it (after getting the burned mess off, ugh) the food tasted fine. A little bit of the seasoning is chipping into the food, though.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Burned Wok

Yeah....heat the wok, clean off as much of the old stuff as you can....reseason.....and put some oil in the bottom with a few pieces of red pepper....and put a note on it to "don't mess with the Amazon worms, they are poisionous".
Good luck!
Linda C

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here