Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Floor tile for oven heating?

Posted by marys1000 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 21, 08 at 10:35

I've been noticing that people use ceramic tiles for cooking on sort of like a pizza stone. I'm not sure I have a desire to try this but.....here in another thread on pie it was mentioned that to get a nicely browned crust put a pizza stone below the pie plate for good heat and heat distribution, and that additionally you could put one above it (sort of sandwiching the pie) for nice even browning of the top crust. Now, rather than go out and buy two pizza stones, I thought it might be ok to go buy a few travertine floor tiles for this purpose?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Floor tile for oven heating?

Unglazed quarry tiles (terracotta clay) are cheaper than travertine, I would think, and they work great for me. Less than $1 at Lowe's or Home Depot, takes only 6 to line my bottom oven rack. Do not place any tiles on the bottom surface of your oven. Wipe new tiles off to remove any dust, then gradually heat them up a few times to sort of temper them.

I baked pizza this past weekend on my tiles. Heated them in a 500F oven for about 30-45 minutes, then slid the pizza onto the tiles with a wooden pizza peel. Pizza baked in about 8 minutes.

Leave an inch or more of space around the outside area of the tiles for good air ciculation in the oven. I leave the tiles in the oven pretty much all the time.

o

I purchased travertine tiles because I couldn't find the unglazed quarry tiles. I bought six 6inch square tiles for $2 each. They fit nicely on the oven rack and I get fabulous pizza on them!

I saw an episode of Good Eats and Alton Brown said to get a large drip tray that goes under the very large terra cotta pots.

o

The more I think about this the less I think I'm going to do it. You just don't know what all else when into making that terracotta or travertine for that matter. right?

o

Mary, I would not do it either.

I don't have enough background in Chemistry to assure me that it is safe to use items designed for none-food related purpose in my food preparation. Also, it is really not that costly even paying for a good pizza stone, especially if you will use it often for a long period of time.

o

Is it a good or bad idea to leave the baking tiles on the bottom of the oven when baking cakes in the middle of the oven? I wonder if this helps with even heat for cake baking, or would it dry out the cake too much?

o

Is it a good or bad idea to leave the baking tiles on the bottom of the oven when baking cakes in the middle of the oven? I wonder if this helps with even heat for cake baking, or would it dry out the cake too much?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here