Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Buying Cast Iron Oven - Confused About Staub's Insides?

Posted by meagain (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 28, 08 at 9:41

I want to buy my first piece of enameled Cast iron (round). Either Le Creuset 7-1/4 or 9qt or Staub 8qt. I prefer the looks of the Staub. Despite preferring a softer butter yellow, I might go with that color as no one makes a white. :(

Williams Sonoma had one small Staub. I know the Staubs have black innerds but this one felt very rough. Felt like raw cast iron and it really threw me for a loop. I even thought a sponge could shred when cleaning. Then I read that the inside gets more non-stick over time which again leads me to believe it's not glazed. :o

Are Staub's insides not enameled? If so, that's a dissapointment because that's the whole reason I'd spend this level of cash. I must be missing something but IDK what. Can anyone clarify this for me?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Buying Cast Iron Oven - Confused About Staub's Insides?

Are Staub's insides not enameled?

http://www.staubusa.com/performance/index.asp

"Black Matte Enamel Interior" "The more you use it, the better it gets!"

What's your question again? Maybe you're better suited for Le Creuset...

o

Nope. I went over to Sur La Table to see both the Staub and LC. No comparison to me. Certainly not in the looks department. Staub won hands down. THEN, conveniently, they were on sale so I left with a stunning yellow Staub 8 quart round. It's gorgeous. I'm tempted to go back for the 5qt but I really don't think I need two. Or DO I?

o

Of course you need two, or three, or more....Once you start you want them all LOL! How much were the 8 rounds and the 5 rounds there?

Staub's interior enamel is rough enough to take a seasoning even though it's enameled. The pores fill with polymerized oil, and it becomes more nonstick with use as they say. Le Creuset's Satin Black also does that, but Staub is much prettier.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here