Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
azmom_gw

French Onion Soup Bowl recommandation

azmom
15 years ago

We are looking for individual French Onion Soup Bowls that can be used directly from cooking in the oven (under boiler) to serving on the table.

We love Le Creuset cast iron pieces but have no experience with their stoneware. Will you recommend the Le Creuset stoneware bowls? Or do you have any other suggestions?

Thank you in advance for the inputs.

Comments (7)

• lindac
    15 years ago

I have some heavy soup mugs that I bought at the Dollar Store....and they are perfect! They hold about 2 cups of soup to the top....leaving room for a slice of toasted French bread and some cheese.
    They go from micro to table or from oven to table. Just basic heavy white stoneware.
    But I'll bet the Le cruset are nicer!
    Linda C

• azmom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Linda, Do these soup mugs hold up under the boiler? If they do, I will get a few of them.

Thank you.

• lindac
    15 years ago

I have never left them in there longer than just about 3 minutes, just enough to melt the cheese....but if filled with a liquid, almost anything will stand up in the broiler for that long...
    And..They are a dollar!! One dollar? LOL!
    Well that's each....so 8 will cost you $8...plus tax of course! LOL!
    Seriously I really like them...but they only had lime green, white and an icky blue.
    Linda C

• sleepyhollow
    15 years ago

Are they from Communist China, do they have lead in them? The dollar store is famous for buying cheap and dangerous Chinese goods and offloading them at cut rate prices to the average American consumer who will run off a cliff chasing a cheaper price.

Please, be safe for your own health and that of your family and don't buying cookware or glassware from those dollar stores. There is a reason those things cost a dollar. They were made with child and/or slave labor and contain the cheapest most dangerous materials that can be passed off without suspicion. There is virtually no regulation of these things under the current administration so it is caveat emptor.

• readinglady
    15 years ago

If you like contemporary design you might go with these from Kavalier Glassworks on ebay. They're the national distributor for Simax glass, a Czech company which makes lab beakers and (formerly) glass products for the home.

What's happening is a lot of the European glass companies are closing out their home lines because they can't compete with Asian products.

This borosilicate glass is heat-resistant up to 900 degrees, but for absolute comfirmation, just email the company. I have purchased other things from them. Inexpensive and good service.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Borosilicate Soup Bowls

• marys1000
    15 years ago

Are you looking for a nice rustic looking serving dish? If it doesn't matter the white corning glass bowls with the little tab handle and plastic top would probably hold up pretty well. But then if you are looking for personal experience - I won't risk my two old ones with glass tops - they are my most precious kitchen possession:) I have been using them in the microwave for years - I don't like the new plastic tops.

You can usually buy these at Wal-Mart etc. Actually the don't look that different from the LeCreuset ones except they only come in white.

If you want the rustic look - check a restaurant supply house for the brown ones you see in restaurants - or ask a restaurant if you can buy some of theirs.

Here is a link that might be useful: corning bowls on amazon

• lindac
    15 years ago

Porcelain, that is high fired stoneware, vitrified ware does not present a problem for lead. Nor does heating and serving soup in these bowls present a problem. If there were any doubt about a pottery I would be sure not to use it to store pickles, but these dollar store bowls are microwave safe....they contain no metal.

I wouldn't put a orange juice in a Mexican pottery pitcher for days at a time, but I would have no worry about serving it in that pitcher once or twice.
    Linda C