Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tabletop induction cooker question

Posted by madymo3d (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 26, 11 at 9:28

I found a tabletop induction cooker at the thrift store few years ago for a good price. While I like using it to cook pasta, I have a hard time using it for anything else like cooking rice, stew or steak because despite all the temperature/power buttons, it seems to pulse full on and off as a way to control power. To me, cooking something at medium power is not the same as pulsing full power 50% of the time. So I figured it's one of 3 things:

1) The thing is partially broken, which is why the previous owner donated it (possible, who would want to donate a $100+ appliance if it still worked)
2) Being an older model, that was the technology at the time (I think most likely)
3) That's just how induction cookers work (I don't think this is the case)

Today I came across a good deal on a new tabletop induction cooker I'm debating buying, but I want to know that it doesn't have the same limitations as my current one. I want to ask if someone who has owned an induction cooktop from way back (say, mid '90s), was it pulsing on/off as a way of controlling power? And if I buy a new one today, will it be possible to cook stew and rice, ie, instead of pusling full on/off, it actually holds a some power level constant.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tabletop induction cooker question

Bump

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here