Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
livvysmom

Thinking about a Food Saver -- have one?

livvysmom
16 years ago

I have been buying a lot of meat in bulk at Costco -- I am really thinking a Food Saver might be great to have. I went to Amazon.com and there are many models and price ranges. The most expensive V2840 ($150.00) got almost all perfect reviews.

Anyone have any advice on which to buy and where to get a good deal?

Comments (7)

• glycera
    16 years ago

I've had one for many years and wouldn't be without it. Replaced my original one a few years ago with a Professional II model, which was top-of-the-line at that time, I think. It's worth the extra $$ to get an automatic model so you don't have to keep pressing down on the button to make it work. Try shopping around on the Web to find a good price (unless you live in a big city, that is). I like using pricegrabber.com, but there are also other helpful sites, like epinions.com or bizrate.com. Once you decide on a model, you could also check eBay.

---Margaret

• kayskats
    16 years ago

I've had one for several years ... use it mainly for packaging meats which I buy on sale. I buy Certified Angus chuch roast on sale and have it ground. I then use a cookie cuter and form hamburger patties ... just plain meat which I cook on my Cuisinart grill/griddle/panini press. I also pre-brown hamburger meat for my daughter to use in tacos, etc for a quick meal.
    When I first got mine I tried packing complete meals on styrofoam plates and smushed everything. Wish I could get one of the new ones, which I understand don't do that.

• grainlady_ks
    16 years ago

I'm on my 3rd one after 20 years of using them (and the next one is in the basement in storage). No two have been alike, interestingly enough. I wouldn't be without it.

I have a special cart to hold it, right by the refrigerator. If you can keep it out, you'll find you will use it much more than if you have to haul it out each time.

The FoodSaver is on the top, for easy access, and already plugged in. I keep an assortment of the rolls of bags, the tube for sealing the canisters, and jar attachment in a nice basket on another shelf. I also keep scissors to cut the bags, and a couple Sharpies there to mark them. On the bottom shelf of the cart I keep an assortment of canisters and canning jars (which you can also use for vacuum-sealed storage).

-Grainlady

• livvysmom
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Looks like Costco has the top of the line model for $125. Maybe an early birthday gift.

• kayskats
    16 years ago

just put my food saver to a new (for me) use.

I like cornbread, but can't find the kind of meal I used to get in Atlanta -- white stoneground, White Lily preferred.

went on line and found where I could order it, but had to get 20 pounds. Ordered it and vacuum sealed three of the 5# bags and popped 'em in the freezer. They'll keep a long time.

• homeonalaska_yahoo_com
    16 years ago

Over the last 5 years I'm now on my 3rd foodsaver model. Each time I've upgraded to a better model .. the lastest one is a gamesaver pro-Plus (200.00 + shipping) .. what a nightmare .. the 1st one I rec'd vacummed but didn't seal ..cost me 16.00 to return it the 2nd one just arrived this one doesn't vacuum or seal .. by the time I return this one .. I'll have invested 48.00 in shipping on a 200.00 unit .. 2 months of wasted time and back to the beginning using ziplock baggies.
    My other 2 units still vacuum, but the sealing strip burnt out and that's the one item Tilia won't replace .. when I asked why .. Their comment ..."posses a fire hazzard". Duhhhh ... it's more like planned obsolescence to me ...

• rfcc1
    16 years ago

I'm on my second foodsaver. I just bought a V2860. It's not the top of the line but it works for me. I loved my first one and I love this one too. Check out QVC.com for foodsavers and accessories at good prices. They also have deals where you can get extras with the different models.

rfcc1