Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Induction - Q's about non-stick, preheating, griddles, Le Creuset

Posted by BestValue (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 3, 05 at 9:05

I'd like to go with induction, but need to make sure I'll still be able to cook (!)

Right now, my favorite pan (practically the only one I use besides a big pot for boiling water) is a T-fal 12" nonstick. I replace it every year or two when the surface wears our (my latest one has a scratch because my brother-in-law cut into something in the pan to see if it was done -- but he was babysitting for free, so what can you say?)

Anyway, it works really well, and is inexpensive enough that I don't mind having to replace it. But, it won't work with induction.

I make omelets, pancakes, turkey burgers and turkey sausage, and pan-fried fish (cajun catfish). I don't mind using oil or butter, but I'd like to really have eggs and pancakes release well.

What's the best option for induction for replacing this pan?

Additional q's -
* I went to test the Diva in person. Apparently you aren't supposed to pre-heat -- I turned on the hob under the All Clad saucepan with lid that comes with the set, and the pot immediately started vibrating horribly, making a racket with the lid. Is this a real restriction? Then what do you do for pancakes on a cast-iron griddle?

* Le Creuset seems to have a logo embossed on the bottom, and some pots also look like they have a raised ring around the edge. Does that interfere with induction?

* My one complaint about my T-fal is that it's not large enough (and one of my many complaints about my current stove is that it doesn't heat out to the edge). Is there a cooktop/pan option that would solve this for me? The Demeyere griddles looked intriguing, although they aren't non-stick, and I think the 34cm round one might be too big even for the De-Deitrich 90cm DTI309's central 28cm hob (I think they recommend no larger than 32cm), while I'm not sure the rectangular one works at all. Suggestions?

Thanks!
-- Amanda

Here is a link that might be useful: Demeyere Griddles

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Induction - Q's about non-stick, preheating, griddles, Le Cre

LeCrueset and All Clad stainless work just fine on Induction. You are allowed to preheat but you have to turn the heat down quite a bit. It heats up really quickly. You must have everything ready when you want to cook. Demeyere is also good. All Clad makes non stick and I have had my non stick for 5years and no damage or flaking at all.

Good luck!

o

Cast iron works well on induction. The logo on the bottom of the Le Creuset pan or a raised ring is not a problem. Pans used with induction hobs don't have to be as perfectly flat as with regular ceramic smoothtops because the induction field is active for a short distance above the surface of the unit. The only problem I have ever heard of is that the pan may rotate or something if it is high in a single spot in the middle or something. If you want a good, cheap induction-capable fry pan, QVC's Cooks Essentials stainless lines are induction ready, metal utensil-safe nonstick that can go in the dishwasher. They also have a lifetime warranty, so they will replace them for free if they ever wear out. They have a stainless steel 13" super skillet with lid for about $40. They also have a Stainless 500 nonstick 12" super skillet for about $30. Good cookin' :-)

o

I just went through that process after finding a clearance induction range and this how i replaced two sets of Revere cookware:

Go to Tuesday Morning and/or TJ Maxx
Make sure you carry a magnet with you
I purchased a TVS 12" ($24.99) and 8" non stick skillet (14.99) TJ Maxx quality Italian cookware Europeans have been using induction for years
Berndes Coquere Induction 5-1/2-Quart Stock Pot Tuesday Morning (2/3 off retail) Very Nice! Well built German Cookware.
Berndes Coquere Induction 3.15-Quart Sauce Pot Tuesday Morning Well built German Cookware
Tramontina 6.5 qt. Enameled Covered Cast Iron Dutch Oven $39 Sams Club (Le Creuset performance without the $$$$$$$$$$$) recommended by Cooks illustrated
Le Creuset 3 1/2 Qt. Braiser $149.00 TJ Maxx Worth every penny!
Lucked into a Closeout on a complete set (14 Pieces of Cuisinart stainless steel induction cookware) $91 Sam's CLub

Induction is definitely a time saver. you can cook with lower heat and it heats the pan very fast. Water Boils in 4 minutes.

Hope this helps!

o

If you want to post some more useful items like the above entry and it is very good, please don't resurrect a 6.5 year old thread to do it.
To start a thread, log in and then go to the bottom of the thread list page where you will find the needed form. If you want to add a link on a thread start entry you must hit preview first after finishing your narrative , then drop down to the correction area, add your link, then hit preview again, then submit.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here