Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

Korean cooking utensils

Posted by sallyjavalon (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 18, 05 at 8:08

I am currently living in Korea and there are some neat cooking utensils that I will be bringing home with me.

First are small "casserole" type dishes, without lids, made out of a very very heavy pottery - stoneware?? Cooking at home or in small restaurants is almost always done over gas flame. These pots are put right on the burner, with liquid in them, then the ingredients for the soup or stew are added. liquid boils furiously for a few minutes, then the pot is taken off the flame, put on a heat proof fitted plate and served. The liquid continues to boil for several minutes from the retained heat, and the meal is piping hot down to the last mouthful.

There are similar bowls and plates made out of stone which are preheated before dry ingredients are put in. Again the retained heat keeps the meal piping hit.

The third implement is scissors! They use them for cutting up everything in the kitchen. Many meat dishes are thin - belly meat for instance. Hold it up with tongs and snip away. Looked weird at first, but oh so efficient. Just thought I would share.

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: Korean cooking utensils

And where might the rest of us unfortunates find products like these? Is there a web site?
Linda C

RE: Korean cooking utensils

I suspect any town big enough for a China town would have stores that sell such goods. I did a quick google search and came up with a site -

The earthen pots are most common. Stone ore soapstone are more expensive. Heavy beasts for shipping though.

RE: Korean cooking utensils

I love the scissor thing! I used to have a great pair of "chicken scissors," for preparing stir fry. It's easiest to cut when the chicken is partway defrosted from frozen, and it works for any stir-fry meat. Now I'm wondering what else to use them on, if I replace that pair....

RE: Korean cooking utensils

I have been searching for a Korean bulgogi cooking utensil. It looks like a hubcap with holes in it and is used for table top barbequeing with a gas grill or small charcoal holder. The solid edge catches all of the juices from the thinly sliced, marinated bulgogi style beef which is delicious over rice. There are many bulgogi marinades on the web but they just suggest grilling where all the wonderful juices would be lost. A friend brought me one from Korea but I have lost it. The koa site doesn't have it. Deirdre

RE: Korean cooking utensils

There's one on Amazon, about $25.

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here