Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sallyjavalon

Korean cooking utensils

sallyjavalon
18 years ago

Hi,

I am currently living in Korea and there are some neat cooking utensils that I will be bringing home with me.

First are small "casserole" type dishes, without lids, made out of a very very heavy pottery - stoneware?? Cooking at home or in small restaurants is almost always done over gas flame. These pots are put right on the burner, with liquid in them, then the ingredients for the soup or stew are added. liquid boils furiously for a few minutes, then the pot is taken off the flame, put on a heat proof fitted plate and served. The liquid continues to boil for several minutes from the retained heat, and the meal is piping hot down to the last mouthful.

There are similar bowls and plates made out of stone which are preheated before dry ingredients are put in. Again the retained heat keeps the meal piping hit.

The third implement is scissors! They use them for cutting up everything in the kitchen. Many meat dishes are thin - belly meat for instance. Hold it up with tongs and snip away. Looked weird at first, but oh so efficient. Just thought I would share.

Comments (5)