Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shun Kershaw Knives

Posted by sheshe (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 5, 05 at 1:34

I have heard things said that these kives are only good for rightys? It this true? Are there any lefties that use their
chiefs knife or santoku knives? Thanks, sheshe

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shun Kershaw Knives

sheshe, I have these, and would say go ahead and order one knife, to see how you like it. (You could also check the return policy!) There is a ridge on the right side of the knife, but I think you'd be able to get a fine grip on it with your left. The ridge is for your fingers to curl around and helps grip the knife. I think it might work for you just fine.

o

If you have a local Williams sonoma, check with them first and see if they have these on display. You can check it out that way before investing more than the cost of a car ride.

Good luck!

o

I bought the 7-inch Santoku knife, and although I am a lefty, I have not noticed any discomfort. It's a breeze to use. I did hear, however, that Shun is going to introduce left-handed kitchen knives this year. I wonder if they'll be noticeably more comfortable. I plan on purchasing one once they're released to find out. By the way, you should know that this knife is offered two ways: flat ground (sharpened on both sides, no ridges) or hollow ground (sharpened on both sides, with ridges cut into the sides of the blade that supposedly keep food from sticking to the knife). I opted for the flat ground version because friends of mine who are chefs said there really wasn't any difference and that you could damage the hollow-ground knife if you sharpened it the wrong way. So I made the safe choice, and so far I'm delighted with the knife.

o
RE: Lefty Shun Kershaw Knives are here

Looks like the lefty Shun knives are no longer a rumor.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lefty Shun Kershaw knives

o

The fact that they think of lefties is just one more reason why their knives are superior to many other brands

o

You can say that again! I've been using mine for a year now, and haven't needed to have them professionally sharpened yet. I'm amazed at how long these keep their edge. Good for them (and us) for having such a complete line of knives to choose from!

o

Is there a difference between the Shun Pro and Shun Classic. The design is different and both claim VG-10 Steel. Does this make a quality/edge holding difference?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here