Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Searching electric waffle maker but concerned about nonstick ...

Posted by homey_bird (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 11, 11 at 0:43

Hi,

As the subject of this post suggests, I'm searching for a belgian waffle maker. However, I do not want to purchase any waffle makers out there that have teflon or any other unhealthy coating on it.

The ones, non-stick coating notwithstanding, that I looked for were Calphalon and All-Clad. I went to Williams-Sonoma and chatted with them about the wafflers and the non stick coating and was told (emphatically if I may add), that --1. Teflon is a "cheap nonstick" and it's what causes cancer, and 2. All-Clad, since not cheap, has a safe nonstick material.

In another store, similar comments were received regarding Calphalon. Searching for the specifications, it's hard for me to find if the nonstick coating is indeed teflon or something else. Everyone just mentions "non stick" without being more specific.

Sure, the all clad waffler I saw did look like an enamel. But I want to find out, is this true?

Also, do the other ones like George Foreman etc. still use teflon based nonstick coating or do they use high quality nonstick surface that is safe for consumption?

Can someone clarify? Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Searching electric waffle maker but concerned about nonstick

Teflon coatings DO NOT CAUSE cancer and that is just a scare tactic used to sell other types of cookware. The digestive system CANNOT break down Teflon and if eaten will pass harmlessly through the digestive tract. However; I'm just a experienced chemist, what the heck do I know about chemical toxicity??

Better for others to answer your question than me.

Dan
Semper Fi-cus.

o

If what you say is true, shame on WS and any other store that would use patently false scare tactics in order to sell their products.

o

Thanks for the replies. I now need some feedback on the two waffle makers I mentioned; but I will start a new thread.

Thanks again!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here