Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tmac96

Recipes to test my new enameled cast iron 'French Oven'?

tmac96
19 years ago

Sorry to be posting so much, but you are all such a wealth of information -- I have to capitalize!

So anyhow, as you may have read in an early post of mine, I decided to pick up a 5 quart enameled cast iron French Oven. It's not a "Le Creuset" -- it's by Staub -- but it is still made the same way with the enameling on the interior as well as the exterior. Anyhow, I really want to put my new piece of cookware to the test. I tried to do a google search to find recipes for dutch ovens, but all I got was camping recipes. Does anyone out there have some good recipes that I can try in my new French Oven that will really show me what it can do?

Thanks so much for anything that you can offer! I really appreciate all the help I have gotten already from this board. I have learned so much!

Comments (11)

• canvir
    19 years ago

The Staub web site has some recipes.

http://www.staubusa.com/recipes/index.asp

• steve_o
    19 years ago

IIRC, the Le Creuset site (obvious URL) has recipes, as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Le Creuset Web site

• dayenu
    19 years ago

Anything that takes long slow cooking works. Try:
    chicken marengo
    burgundy beef
    sauerbraten
    spanish rice
    tandoori chicken
    that sort of thing.

• arley_gw
    19 years ago

How adventurous are you? Anything which needs long slow cooking will work. Its forte is braising meats: brown on the top of the stove, add liquid and cook slowly for a long time in a slow oven. Chili is really easy, as are pot roasts.

Here are two classic dishes: "Gigot de sept heures" --seven hour leg of lamb. Brown lamb, add stock and vegetables, put in a very slow oven for 7 hours. Yes, it takes 7 hours to cook but your involvement is mostly about 20 minutes at the beginning. Perfect for when you have to be in the house all day doing other stuff, because you shouldnÂt be peeking at this dish anyway while it cooks. Do a google search and youÂll find a few versions of this recipe. The lamb comes out juicy, delicious and fork-tender.

Another classic dish is "lapin en gibelotte"Âa fancy rabbit stew. The link below is to one version of the dish. If youÂve never tried domestic rabbit, give it a try: delicate, more flavorful than chicken, not at all gamy.

Here is a link that might be useful: lapin en gibelotte

• mrsmarv
    19 years ago

Osso Bucco turns out superb!

• drcindy
    19 years ago

I just bought a wonderful cookbook called All About Braising that would be perfect for your french oven. Now I'm searching for appropriate cookware for these recipes!

• sigh
    19 years ago

From my favorite recipe place....this is to die for & is best when served on crusty bread. I cook it for a crowd and seldom have leftovers...darn it!

Enjoy,

Nina

Here is a link that might be useful: Creole Roast Beef

• Lynne_SJO
    19 years ago

Congrats! Staubs are wonderful. I have a large set of LC, but am looking for a space in my kitchen for a Staub as well. Have fun with your cooking adventure. I use mine for soups and stews. I start the stew on the cooktop and then finish by slow cooking in the oven. Bring to the table and serve. It would also be great for pot roast.

Lynne

• dmsee
    16 years ago

I always wanted to cook in a cast iron pot. So, I bought the Rachel Ray 3.5 qt casserole. I hope you can help me. I would like a simple recipe for boneless, skinless chicken. I can't seem to find any on the web. I really appreciate your help.
    Thank you
    dmsee

• marie26
    16 years ago

America's Test Kitchen has a video recipe for pot roast. The chef said to use an enameled cast iron dutch oven.

Is your Staub cast iron? I was thinking of buying a Calphalon 7 qt. Chef's Casserole on sale for $69.99 that I was considering purchasing. I would use it to make spaghetti, chili, cream soups, beef stew, pot roast, beef stroganoff, chicken paprikash, etc.

Since I'll only buy one should I buy a cast iron dutch oven instead?

• wolfgang80
    16 years ago

I've always done the whole braise on the stovetop, using just enough flame to have the liquid start to bubble. What temperature oven do you use to simulate this? Why is the oven preferable when the cooking is being done in a miniature sealed, heat retaining oven?

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville