Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mika80_gw

Stainless steel and 'green' non stick cookware

mika80
10 years ago

Hello! I finally decided to buy new cookware (yeeeehh).
Anyway, I know all-clad is the best stainless steel set but I really wouldn't want o spend that amount of money ... Is there anything good but for a more reasonable price?
About non stick, I have some hard idonized pieces but prefer to go green maybe with ceramic or marble?? I have been reading reviews and cant find a brand everybody is happy with .... Suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Comments (5)

• sandy808
    10 years ago

A basic well seasoned cast iron skillet will be way superior to any non stick pan, and won't have a chemical coating. My eggs slide right out.

I use mostly cast iron cookware....basic Lodge "bare" cast iron, some Le Creuset, and some Staub.

I have some All Clad as well. It is good cookware and they stand behind their warranty. I put most of it away because I prefer cast iron, but I have a few sizes handy for boiling water and making stock. I like that it is made in the U.S.A. I refuse to buy Chinese cookware.

My suggestion is to evaluate what you like to cook and then mix and match pieces that fit you. If it is at all in your budget my advice would be to spend the money up front for quality. If necessary, purchase fewer pieces to get started and then build up from there. It will last a lifetime and be a joy to cook with.

There are some that really like Fissler cookware as well. It is made in Germany. I haven't tried it as of yet, but if I add a stockpot in the future I may.

Have fun with the process, although I know it can be overwhelming at times making decisions about it. If you purchase from a business that has a satisfaction guarantee that helps. For example, Williams Sonoma will let you return something within 90 days no questions asked. I'm sure there are others as well. That way if you get a pan and absolutely hate using it, you won't be out your money.

Don't be afraid to mix and match brands either. Your whole cookware collection does not have to match. Get the pieces that you like the most.

• scpalmetto
    10 years ago

We are putting in an induction cooktop and my old All Clad will not work with it. I generally do not believe in buying sets of cookware but until I pick up the few pieces I do need, I bought a complete set of Kirkland cookware from Costco for only $169. It is made in Thailand. Like Sandy, I prefer made in the good old USA stuff but this will tide me over. I do have some lodge and LC cast iron, which I love and it will work with the induction, but I am in my 70's and that stuff was heavy when I was younger, now it is like lifting an elephant. The Costco pots are well made and until I acquire the individual pieces of new All Clad or whatever brand, they will do just fine.

• flsandytoes
    10 years ago

mika80,

All-Clad isn't really the best, it's just the most well-known because it was the first fully clad line of stainless cookware. But I take your meaning. All-Clad is expensive, especially given that there are now many other comparable lines that cost less. You want excellent quality and don't want to spend quite that much.

Sadly, you'll never find anything that is universally liked. Some people have real problems with nonstick pans (sticking after a few months), mostly because they don't use and care for it properly. The same is true of clad stainless (everything sticks!) and cast iron (it rusted and everything sticks!). Your best pan is dependent on what you're cooking, how you cook it, and how much care you're willing to give your cookware.

Do you need them to be dishwasher safe, or are you ok with hand washing every day?

Do you mind scrubbing a pan, or do you want something that is sort of wash and wear, but possibly at the expense of versatility?

Is pan weight a factor?

What do you want to cook?

Do you prefer to use high heat, or are you ok with medium heat and giving the pan extra time to heat up?

Do you prefer the look and uniformity of a set?

Once you've set your parameters, it'll be easier to give you advice.

• kris_zone6
    10 years ago

I like Calphalon Tri-Ply for everyday cooking, but also have some Le Creuset. The only non-stick cookware I have is a couple of fry pans for eggs.

• flsandytoes
    10 years ago

I like Calphalon Tri-Ply, too. I love it, in fact. I used it almost exclusively for over 12 years. I recently replaced it because the old stuff I had wouldn't work on my new induction range, sadly. But it turned out to be a good thing, because I was able to buy pans that are more comfortable for me to hold. My wrist strength isn't what it used to be, and the Calphalon handles really weren't comfy anymore. But I sure did love how those pans cooked and how easy they were to clean.

My new saucepans and stockpot are Vollrath Optio, with really thick disk bottoms and nice round handles. They perform very much like my old Calphalon, so I'm quite happy with them. Cleanup is a breeze, too. I recently scored a great deal on a barely-used Zwilling Spirit sauté pan with Thermolon Granite coating that cooks exceptionally evenly. I have a Mauviel M'Stone 6 quart soup pot, which cooks well without a lot of weight, a must for me in a big pot. I got it at a Black Friday online sale for $50 (regularly $250 everywhere). I use carbon steel crepe pans for fried eggs.

Sometimes I miss some of my Calphalon pans, but I'm also very lucky to have scored some of the deals I did on my replacements. It took away the sting of paying to replace perfectly good cookware.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!