Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maria67_gw

Ameriware cookware

maria67
19 years ago

I purchased this cookware (very pricey) 3 years ago at Fort Rucker AL and I found it to be mediocre. The handles are very user unfriendly. The bottom coating is nearly peeled off. The non-stick coating has to be seasoned every week, and is too easily damaged. The only good thing about this cookware is the even heat distribution. I would not buy it again.

Comments (2)

• geoffshepherd
    19 years ago

Interesting. The pieces they (Cook's Warehouse) are selling now under the Pro-HG name are made by Vollrath and carry a 25-year warranty from Vollrath. The interior non-stick is ceramic-titanium reinforced. The exterior has some other kind of non-stick, but the bottoms are all machined flat leaving an uncoated aluminum base. I bought a 12-piece set + urethane utensils for $425 a week ago.

The handles and lids are typical of commercial cookware (Vollrath, Wearever, etc) available at a restaurant supply. Indeed, Vollrath cookware is available locally, and the pieces are very similar in design, just different finish options/sizes and about the same price as Cook's Warehouse show prices.

As non-sticks go, since finding out from Cook's Warehouse that even the HG-Pro finish has plastic in it (unlike what the sales rep claimed), I have my doubts as to ultimate longevity. The 25-year warranty only covers defects, not wear-and-tear, so whether a loss in the non-stick properties or peeling/chipping constitutes a defect is up to the manufacturer (Vollrath in the case of HG-Pro).

Personally, I find the standardized utilitarian look and feel of commercial cookware appealing. The lids are low-profile, so they don't take up much room, and they will stay in the pots even when hanging. The handles can get hot, but the silicone sleeves mitigate that quite well and are comfortable to boot. You can mix and match different brands of restaurant supply cookware and they all have a similar look. The old Calphalon Commercial Anodized was this style.

In evaluating cookware, I have come to the conclusion that anything promoting itself as "Professional" or "Commercial" probably isn't, likely because it is too expensive for most restaurants to justify. The stuff you find in a restaurant supply is sturdy, basic, and not too expensive (i.e. $10-$20 for a 10 ga. aluminum 8" fry pan). If it gets too beat up or disappears, replacements are cheap enough.

• healthymama
    16 years ago

AMERIWARE IS MADE WITH THE SAME CHEMICALS AS TEFAL!!!!!
    It is NOT as healthy as they advertise.
    I just bought an Ameriware set from Costco for CND$479 as we were in the market for healthier cookware. I hadn't heard of Ameriware so I thought I'd buy it, do the research then open the boxes.(it was their last day at Costco) I am so glad I did. Their pans contain well known carcinogenic chemicals... I found this information at Prevent Disease.com.
    I am surprised that Costco would sell something like this.
    My family's health is #1 so I'm taking the set I purchased back tomorrow. Hope this helps

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022