Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wow, how lucky!! Chefmate cast iron enamel...

Posted by momto1 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 28, 07 at 17:52

I went to Target today to buy an Easter dress for dd and decided to check on their cookware to see if they had the enameled cast iron casserole in. Of course I wanted it in red in the worst way, but would have taken any color. So we turn the corner and there it was, just sitting there waiting for me. I was in Costco yesterday and just can't make myself spend $150 for the Le Crueset pan...can't do it. I've wanted one of these for the longest time and everyone said how impossible they are to find...guess they sell out right away because of the great reviews they got in Cook's Illustrated magazine. I got lucky!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wow, how lucky!! Chefmate cast iron enamel...

After many months of searching, I too found the Chefmate pot. Although I've had it only two months, I have had nothing but good experiences with it. I have baked two loaves of no knead bread and countless dishes.

Now I am looking for a stainless steel knob that will tolerate high heat.

Enjoy!

o

Thanks southern,
I've heard some people say that they wrapped their knobs in aluminum foil and that seemed to protect them just fine. Just a thought, thanks for the feedback on the pot...

o

FYI, the knob-wrapped-in-aluminum-foil trick is iffy at best, and downright noxious at the high temps required for no-knead bread baking.

The phenolic (plastic) portion of the knob is attached to the threaded metal sleeve with an adhesive that melts at high temps.

I tried the foil trick once, and then promptly went out and bought a cheap stainless knob at Home Depot (see link below). Approaching 30 loaves of no-knead bread at this point, and it's holding up beautifully...

Here is a link that might be useful: My ChefMate pot with 'upgraded' knob

o

Thanks joe blowe,
I appreciate that info...I don't plan on making bread in my pot but apparently lots of people do! Your information is valuable.....

o

Le Creuset sells stainless steel knobs. I don't know if it will work for your pot, but it might be worth checking out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Le Creuset knob

o

Thanks for the tips for the stainless steel knob!

o

I got my red one right after the C.I. review came out. I look every time I'm at Target, but I haven't seen one since.

I just remove the knob when I do no-knead bread. I find that I can easily remove the lid with pot holders and the tiny hole doesn't affect the bread at all.

o

I'm so glad I found this thread! I picked up a red Chefmate at Target last week (there was just one, tucked away on a shelf) and was a little worried about melting the knob in the oven. I didn't think to just replace it with a metal knob (duh!).

Thanks for the idea!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here