Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cleaning older (not nonstick) scanpans

Posted by lisa51417 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 2, 07 at 17:27

Does anyone have any advice for cleaning the original scanpans? I just checked on their website and they helpfully said that with regular rinsing immediately after use the pans will not get dirty -- but, that when they do get discolored there's basically nothing to be done about it.

If this is, in fact, correct, I'm prepared to live with it. But if anyone out there has tried anything else (oven cleaner, perhaps?) I'd like to know. I already tried boiling water with dish soap and scrubbing with an SOS pad, and neither one took off the discoloration in the inside of the pan.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cleaning older (not nonstick) scanpans

I just came across this tip today, not sure if it will work on your scanpans:

"....Here's the Cream of Clean. To clean and polish aluminum pots and pans simply fill them with water, add two tablespoons cream of tarter. Boil for 5-10 minutes, then wash and dry as usual. You won't believe your eyes!"

I've been researching aluminum pans and I found a new set of Club Aluminum I intend to buy. I prefer non-stick but after you use aluminum (I have some OLD Wagner ware)it develops a patina that I don't mind at all.

o
RE: cleaning older (not nonstick) scanpans

Thanks, Joan. I'll try it as soon as I can get ahold of some cream of tartar. I know what you mean about the patina (it developed on our Calphalon pans) but these ScanPans have more of a pattern of dark and light spots. I'm intending on putting them in a nightly rental unit, so I'd like them to look good, at least at first!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here