Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crate & Barrel plastic dishware

Posted by MsAzadi (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 23, 05 at 13:12

I just bought some of these at the C&B outlet in VA, and once home saw that the plates say Top Rack only for the dishwasher, and no microwave.

Now I suspect my dh would eventually use them in the micro, but we certainly can't adjust our current dishwasher to put full size plates in the top.

I plan to return the whole lot but has anyone used any of C&B's plastic ware? with what results? Plates were dirt cheap ($1.50 and 95cents) but...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crate & Barrel plastic dishware

Don't have any experience with these but I'm with you. Dishes must be MW safe or they don't belong in my house. And although I do have a few special serving pieces which I don't put in the DW, everyday dinnerplates have to go in there.

o

I have melamine plates (not plastic) from Crate & Barrel. They too say top-rack DW only and no microwave. However, I've often put them in the bottom rack of the DW and I use them in the microwave all the time. They've held up perfectly, although who knows, maybe microwaving them allows chemicals to get into the food? Not sure.

Here is a link that might be useful: C&B Melamine Plates

o

Usually when they say "top rack only" they mean "it'll melt or soften when the heating coil goes on to dry the dishes."

Since I never use that feature (not even sure my new DW has it), but always use "no-heat dry," I can put ANYTHING on the bottom rack.

o

Well, I guess you all are talking me into keeping them. While I'd LOVE to go back to the outlet soon cause they have sooooo many desirable good deals, I really don't NEED to.

(For anyone in the greater DC area, they have chartreuse and cobalt dishes and glasses that are gorgeous, but just not my house or garden colors)

o

Anything melamine heats up super hot in the microwave. Beware!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here