Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rdwright_gw

Waffle makers

rdwright
17 years ago

I would like to hear everyone's recommendations on waffle makers. I have been using a cheap one for years and it has finally died. We make waffles at least a couple of times every month and I would like a really nice one. At the moment, price is not a factor. To flip or not to flip? I've read up on both kinds and both kinds claim theirs as THE way to perfect waffles. I'm looking for squares at the moment, that will make at least four at a time for the hungry family. I look forward to your responses. Thanks.

Comments (11)

• mccall
    17 years ago

I read several reviews before buying mine and I went with the Waring Pro and I have been very happy with it. It is a flip type.

• blsdgal
    17 years ago

I got my Waring pro for Christmas from my mom.

We love it. It is a great wafflemaker. It's downright fun to use. We use it every Sunday morning and everyone fights over who gets the first waffle :)

I figured if it would hold up in a dorm cafeteria, it would hold up for me.

• jane_d
    17 years ago

I just got a small Toastmaster for Christmas that flips... I had never heard of one that flips before- can anyone explain what that does for it? We assumed it was just to add to its gadetry factor.

• mccall
    17 years ago

"I just got a small Toastmaster for Christmas that flips... I had never heard of one that flips before- can anyone explain what that does for it? We assumed it was just to add to its gadetry factor. "

More even cooking.

• greatlakesmower
    17 years ago

I make waffles almost every week for four eaters. For that reason I bought the Cuisinart 6 slice maker, it has the biggest total cooking surface even though each of the squares are smaller than some four slice makers. I like it, but its a little tricky keeping the batter from going out the sides. You kind of need to make an hour-glass shape when you pour in the batter.
    Before I was using a small circular Belgian type. It worked, but way too slow when feeding everyone, unless of course, the stagger out of bed one at a time 15 minutes apart and they are willing to wait for seconds.
    When I was shopping around, I found that the flip makers seemed flimsy, and I found none that had a large surface area.

• paulwheaton
    17 years ago

(I posted something yesterday, but somehow my post didn't make it here. Oh well - I'll try again)

I bought a cast iron waffle make recently. It's probably about 80 years old! After using it a little bit, it's great!

For a long time I refused to buy a waffle iron because they all of that toxic teflon stuff on them. My son kept asking for waffles and I kept dodging him. So this turned out great!

It is a crazy looking contraption! You set it over a burner on the stove and you have to flip it once in a while to get heat on both sides. It was in pretty ugly shape when I got it, but it seems to be looking pretty good now.

At first, I had trouble with waffles sticking - but the waffles just fall out now. Spiffy!

• jessyf
    17 years ago

Our criteria for a waffle maker was an audible 'beep' when it reached temperature or was ready for the next step (flip, remove, etc). We didn't like standing next to it with our eyeballs glued to the light. We bought the Waring, and now we can read the paper and make coffee while waiting for it to do its 'beeping' thing!

• kimba00
    17 years ago

We have the Krups and we like it, however jessyf brought up a good point about the beep. I thought about purchasing a more expensive model (like the type that flips) but I thought that would be difficult to store. I like the idea of buying more then one so you can produce waffles for the whole gang at once and I feel having two smaller units are easier to store then one big one.

• rosieo
    16 years ago

I love my waffle maker! I make waffles about every other day. It heats up fast and is easy to clean and is so simple to use a caveman can do it.
    The flipping makes it more crunchy by putting air in the middle.

Here is a link that might be useful: waffle maker

• lindac
    16 years ago

OK....'splain to me...I own 3 waffle makers...one a very old one that makes round waffles, has no timer nor temp control but makes awesome big round waffles. The other a large Hamilton beech or something, that makes 4 small square waffles...it has a light that tells when it's hot, no teflon, and when it stops steaming the waffle is done. It's about 50 years old.
    Then I have a 15 year old 2 square maker, with non stick coating that has a temp control and a ready light and a waffle done light.....about 15 or more years old...
    None of them flip. What's with that? All my irons heat both from the top and the bottom....so why flip? That's for pancakes on a griddle.

Linda C

• jono123
    16 years ago

I have a Villaware (sp?) Uno. I really like it. It works much better than the cheap one I had before and has a beeper that rings when the waffle is done. The waffles come out good, no complaints.