Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seasoning wok on smoothtop - need help now!

Posted by LivvysMom (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 10, 05 at 13:01

I just bought the Joyce Chen 14" carbon steel flat bottom (supposidly) wok. I am following the directions to season it but I am a nervous wreck.

First of all, the bottom of the wok measures about 6-6 1/2". I have one burner that is 5 1/2" and one that is 7". Which burner should I be using? The 5 1/2" burner is one that gets screaming hot compared to the other (boils quickly, practically no simmer). When I use either burner, I notice the burner cycling on and off -- is this normal?

Next the instructions say to tilt the wok to heat up the sides. How am I supposed to do this on my smoothtop?? Won't smearing the screaming hot oil around with the paper towel take care of this? The pan was smoking (not excessively) but enough to have to turn on the exhaust fan).

Lastly, I just completing one "cycle" of seasoning and pan is cooling. It looks about the same except the bottom is kind of yellowy brown (like burned oil).

This pan is making me a nervous wreck. I so want to be able to use it to stir-fry. Like I said above, I do have one burner that runs very hot and a wonderful Zephyr vent hood -- so I am hoping I am going to be to do this.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seasoning wok on smoothtop - need help now!

Season it in the oven. I'm sure if you google you can find instructions for doing so.

o
RE: Seasoning wok on smoothtop - need help now!

You may have a handle on that wok that won't go in the oven. Seasoning is typically done on low heat (I like 200 degrees in my oven for an hour) but can be done on top of the stove. It sounds like your heat's too high. I'd just keep rubbing the oil around, and let it heat as long as 45 minutes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here