Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wmjc_gw

dinnerware? what kind do you have? Sausalito?

wmjc
17 years ago

I am trying to find new dinnerware that is durable. I looked at fiestaware, I do like it but I have more muted colors in my house. Does anyone have Sausalito from Pottery Barn and know if it is durable, chip-resistant.

Comments (9)

• lindac
    17 years ago

The best most chip resistand, most durable and coincidentally one of the lightest weight stuff is porcelain fine china. The clue is to find something that looks "kitchen-ey" and as informal as you like.
    Fiesta ware is notably "chippy". I also love Waechestersbach...it's heavier than a fine china, but it wears well...and I really love the solid color stuff!
    Linda C

• nubeg
    17 years ago

We have a white set for 12 that we got on sale at Boomingdale's for about $100 that is fabulous!

• marys1000
    17 years ago

I think I remember the chippiness difference is between products that are
    earthenware vs. ceramic vs. ?
    Glazes probably have something to do with it too. You could google it.
    Denby doesn't seem chippy but its heavy and expensive.

• suzyq3
    17 years ago

We bought just about every piece of Apilco white porcelain dinnerware a few years ago and have never looked back. It's not inexpensive, but not one piece has even the slightest chip, and it looks wonderful. I use it for everyday and for company. I'm partial to the clean look and versatility of white dishes.

We bought ours at Williams-Sonoma, but maybe it's available for less elsewhere. One advantage to buying it at WS, though, is their amazing customer service regarding returns.

Here is a link that might be useful: Apilco Dinnerware

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    17 years ago

Just get Denby. I still love the pattern I picked out 12 years ago and out of 12 place settings and lots of serveware, one chip. It's the Le Creuset of plates....

• loripie
    17 years ago

Hi!

I have Sturdyware by Fishs Eddy. It is diner ware, does not chip and is almost impossible to break. They have some plain white and also some fun patterns. You can find it at fishseddy.com It's also oven, microwave and dishwasher safe. We love ours.

Lori

• stirfry2
    17 years ago

I would like to find oval dinner plates that are durable? Or 10" dinner plates. Need smaller,oval to be able to fit into dishwasher. Thanks for any suggestions.

• kitchendetective
    17 years ago

I bought a bunch of durable oval plates from a restaurant supply place. You could call and ask for a catalog because the website does not show everything they have.

Here is a link that might be useful: Superior Restaurant Supply

• kayskats
    16 years ago

look for stoneware ... it is fired at a higher temperature than earthenware and doesn't chip as readily. The clay and the glaze are specially mixed to fire at the higher temperature. (In pottery talk, most stoneware is fired at Cone 10 and earthenware at Cone 06...big difference.) Porcelain is fired at the higher temps. High fire colors are much more muted than those fired at the lower temps. If you see really bright colors, it's probably earthenware.
    There's also midfire (Cone 6) that has brighter colors, but is not as chip resistant as Cone 10. Community centers and home potters often fire at the mid-fire temps.