Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bml1414

Costco's Kirkland SS cookware

bml1414
18 years ago

A few years ago (beginning in 2002) there was a thread about Costco's Kirkland brand SS cookware. It seemed that most people were happy with the set at the time. I am considering purchasing the set and was wondering if anybody had any additional thoughts or insights.

I am basically looking to invest in a good set of pots and pans that are SS that are not too heavy for me to handle, are easy to grip, and will wear well. I am far from a gourmet cook -- I more or less just dabble. I feel that the All Clads are very expensive and too heavy for me.

Comments (7)

• fairegold
    17 years ago

I got these three years ago, and they have been fine. However------
    If I did it all over again, I wouldn't buy a set. There are three pieces that I never use, except the very large frying pan is used a couple of times a year. I use a cast iron skillet for a lot of things, and a couple of non-stick pans for other tasks. I needed a small 1 qt sauce pan, which I got from Bed Bath & Beyond, a nice everyday-use Calaphon pan, $19.95.

These are pretty heavy pans, so I'm not sure if you'll get anything better than the AllClad in terms of weight. And the Kirkland handles are a little too rounded for great ergonomics, and can turn a little more than I would like for a really stabile hold on the handle.

These are a good set and a good value. Just that now I can't see getting a set with pieces that I do not use, and also have to have other pieces that I use a LOT not included in this set.

Hope this helps.

• bml1414
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I appreciate your feedback -- seems like others also agree that buying pieces separately is the way to go. Perhaps I will reconsider my decision.

Thanks again.

• swedishgirl
    17 years ago

I would like to give a different review of this cookware. I love them! I don't see what is wrong with buying the set. I use them all. Maybe I don't use each piece every time I cook but I have used them many times since I purchased them in December 2005. Not all the pieces are heavy. Only two of the pots really are (the sauté pan with lid, and the large sauce pot but both of them have a second handle on the opposite side of the regular handle) the rest of them are not so heavy considering the material and quality. These are very solid pieces. I don't know what is sold in the Costco stores anymore since the ones shown on their website didn't appear to have any Copper in them but the ones that I bought have Copper in them as well as Stainless steel. The Copper is a small (1 cm thick) band at the bottom of each pan/pot. I am very pleased with this set. They are very functional, easy to clean, affordable, and they do a great job. I've put them in the dishwasher a few times and although the Copper band at the bottom looks a bit spotted and discolored (can be easily polished with mild metal polish if you want that) the pieces are dishwasher safe. I have two All Clad pots and I have to say that although the weight and handle sizing of these two brands are different I think that the Costco version is quite good. It lived up to my expectations and then some. In fact I liked it so much I bought and brought it back with me to Sweden which is where I live. For the price that I paid and the same quality you cannot find that here!

I should add in case anyone wants to know the pieces are made in Thailand. It is imprinted on the bottom of each piece. Thailand is not China. There is still quality in Thailand. I doubt that Costco would be selling these pieces if the quality was lacking.

• fairegold
    17 years ago

Swedishgirl, I think that these are an excellent buy as well, and made as you descibe. But different needs for different people....

• msjam2
    17 years ago

Have you tried checking epinions.com?

Swedishgirl, I am going to have to check my set when I get home, I thought these were made in Italy. I agree with you though, Thailand makes quality product.

Msjam

• msjam2
    17 years ago

I went to Costco yesterday and the new Kirkland SS cookware is indeed made in Thailand now. Mine was made in Italy, I purchased mine in Dec. 2004. It's hard to tell the quality difference between the two unless they are side by side.

• dharmamel_att_net
    13 years ago

I have this set of cookware with the copper clad. I thought they were great at first, I love the weight, the fluted rim, and the choice of pans and skillets. After having used them, though, and I do NOT use high heat - they stain badly are hard to clean and the handles are not comfortable. For under $150 for the set - I guess you get what you pay for.
    Not happy.