Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Mauviel Saucepans, tin or SS lined?

Posted by Wetlands (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 12, 05 at 10:18

Hi everyone,

I picked up some Mauviel copper saucepans at T.J.Max on the cheap the other day and have no idea what they are lined with. I know they make tin lined and SS lined. I am fairly sure they are tin lined as they don't look quite like SS and after cleaning with a little Bar Keepers Friend and a soft sponge, the lining seemed to scratch a bit.

I've linked to my yahoo briefcase and there is a Mauviel folder there with some closeup shots. I'm hoping someone can confirm for me that they are indeed tin lined. Also, does the apparent damage/scratching cause any trouble? I know you can get them re-tinned, if that is indeed the lining, but when do you do such a thing. I sure don't want to have to do that right after buying them.

Thanks in advance,

Wetlands

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Mauviel Saucepans, tin or SS lined? Forgot the link

Well it isn't THAT early, but I forgot the link:)

Wetlands

Here is a link that might be useful: Mauviel Photo's

o
RE: My Mauviel Saucepans, tin or SS lined?

That would be tin.

o

Thanks Solar, any advice on the tin lined? Care/cleaning? Their website doesn't offer much in the way of advice. Also, is it really obvious when the lining is damaged to the point where you need to re-tin?

Wetlands

o

Wetlands, you're going to love your new cookware. I have both, tin and SS lining. Although the SS lining tends to last longer, the tin lining seems to be a little more "nonstick" than the SS. You should be able to use your pans for quite a long time before having to retin. Just use utensils that don't scratch like wooden spoons (no metal) or silicone. I have used an sos pad with a light touch to remove stuck on coatings without harm, but wouldn't advise this as a daily cleaning ritual. Most of the time I clean my pots with a natural bristle dish brush. The tin will change color and not be so bright after you start using it, and your pots can be cleaned easily by soaking them for a short time. (I actually prefer the tin lining for most things and have had several pots retinned, even an old one with a thin SS lining which was wearing.) If you can see the copper through the lining, it's time to recoat.

Enjoy your cookware!

o

Thanks much for the information, Claire, I didn't have a clue how to care for the tin. I'll use them this next week and see what happens.

Wetlands

o

I just have to say, these saucepans are great! I made a red enchilada sauce last night and the simmer is perfect. I'm not sure I've ever seen an even simmer before. Also, as you said Claire, the tin seems relatively non-stick. All-in-all I am very impressed. Wish I'd have tried copper sooner. Thanks again...

Wetlands

o

Treat the tin tenderly, Bar keepers friend will just hasten the need to re tin and depending where you live, that can be an expensive and bothersome process. for example there is no one locally where I currently live who retins pots.
Isn't copper heavenly?

o

Good Tools make the world of difference! Most people I know don't want to bother with keeping the outside of copper pots clean, so they don't ever know that using copper to cook with makes cleaning it worth having...

Look for a silicone covered whisk, and you'll be good to go.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here