Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marys1000

Big Box store inexpensive sauce pans - recommendations?

marys1000
17 years ago

I'm single and only use 3 pots/pans primarily. My small Le Creuset dutch oven and the larger and smaller sauce pans.

Unfortunatly I ruined the larger sauce pan burning hummingbird sugar water in it. Since I need to send that it I thought I'd send in the other two as well since the smaller ones botton has gotten kind of rough and scratchy. I also burned the small dutch oven but there's only some discolerator and a small crack, not sure if I'm going to send that in. I feel a little aprehensive because the new Le Creuset are different sizes and shapes from mine and I'm not sure I'll like them, but I won't get my old stuff back apparently if I buy new replacements after sending these in.

At any rate I will need something to use in the several months it will take to get replacements.

I use non-stick frying pans but would prefer not to have them in pots/sauce pans though I do usually just cook on high:)

Any recommendations for inexpensive (cheap) cookware available at Tgt, BBB, Linen N Things etc.? To see me through? I have not really stayed abreast of all the new materials and brands out there.

Thanks,

Mary

Comments (7)

• bean_counter_z4
    17 years ago

TJ Max had tons of sauce pans, stainless, clad or disk bottoms, see thru glass lids $16 to $29. I have a couple Wolfgang Puck pieces from TJ Max and like them very much.

• marys1000
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Good tip, don't know where one is but there's sure to be at least one here.
    I'll check the yellow pages.
    Mary

• liz_h
    17 years ago

Mary, I've sent in Calphalon and All-Clad for replacement and had the new ones fairly quickly - about the time for mail both ways with a day or 2 turn around time. I've no idea if LeCreuset is as quick, but as they are a big name company, they may well be.

• Lynne_SJO
    17 years ago

Restaurant supply stores are another great source for very inexpensive, utilitarian cookware and supplies. Their pots and pans don't look pretty, but are made to take a beating from professional chefs and they are priced really reasonable (as in LOW) last time I looked. Warning: if you go in there, prepare to have some fun and expect to spend more than you planned on if you are a foodie and love to cook. Last time I was in looking for a rubber floor mat to put over my cooking prep area, I bought several clear plastic food storage containers and lots of prep bowls. Just check your local yellow pages under "restaurant supplies."

L

• gardenlad
    17 years ago

Check out the WearEver stuff. Wallyworld has it for sure, and I imagine others as well. It's inexpensive, does the job, and lasts two days longer than forever.

One piece of advice: Drop it down a notch. Very little cookware is happy sitting over a high flame; and most materials (such as your enameled cast iron, stainless steel, etc.) are distinctly unhappy on more than medium.

That's why you keep burning things. So lower the flame, and see if you and your cookware aren't a lot happier.

• sellerohboy
    17 years ago

I don't know, my electric smooth top doesn't seem to get hot enough to cook anything on anything other than high. At somepoint depending on what it is I do lower the heat some. Or just keep moving the pan:)

• kayskats
    17 years ago

sellerohboy -- IS THE BOTTOM OF YOUR PAN PERFECTLY FLAT???
    Put a straight edge on the bottom ... if you can see ANY open space, the pan will not make contact and will not heat properly. Many pans, including cast iron, cast aluminum and enamelware have circular ridges and those ridges will be the only part of the pan making contact. If you have a grill pan, it probably has indentations corresponding to the ridges inside. It will not heat adequately. Some pans, particularly skillets become warped with use and do not make contact. Some pans become warped when plunged into the dishwater too quickly and will no longer heat properly.
    I learned all this the hard way when we got a smooath top. I have gradually acquired a new set of flat-bottom, tri-ply cookware. It sits flat and the aluminum core takes care of heat retention and I cook at lower temps. My stainless (not tri-ply)stockpot still does not cook as well as it did on the old coil burners.
    The smooth tops are picky, picky, but I do love the ease of cleaning.