Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marys1000

Le Creuset - old sizes to new sizes how do I tell?

marys1000
17 years ago

I have some 20+ old LC to replace. The new pans look different. They also seem to be slightly different sizes, slightly smaller.

I have a #18 to replace, a 14 and a B (no handles)

The new pictures look narrower and taller which I'm not sure I'll like. I would rather have better access.

Anyone have the old stuff and now newer stuff?

Any help with the size conversions?

Thanks,

Mary

Comments (7)

• blondelle
    17 years ago

I hope you're going to send them back to Le Creuset! They will replace them for free if they haven't been abused. They will replace them with the nearest size to what you have.

• marys1000
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Only if they were defective which I don't think I can claim after using them for 20 years.

• blondelle
    17 years ago

People have had them replaced after 40+ years. If they aren't wearing well, they are defective, and will be replaced if they determine they haven't been abused by using too high temps, boiling dry, or using metal implements. I had a set replaced because they weren't holding up well! Call Le Creuset, and I'm sure they will replace them. If not they will offer you new pieces at 50%-75% off retail prices. You have nothing to lose.

• dmlove
    17 years ago

The edge of the top of my 6-qt. LC Dutch Oven seems to be rusty. A) Is that possible? B) Can I clean it somehow myself? and most of all C) will LC replace the top?

• marys1000
    Original Author
    17 years ago

LC finally answered the message on my call to their customer service line. The new sauce pans are different sizes than my old ones, even short of significantly in one case.
    They told me that they will replace anything that looks like defective workmanship. After 20+ years I think that's asking a bit much.
    However - if not defective workmanship - they supposedly still offer you a replacement at 75% reduced price.
    My question - reduced from what price? Is this one of those deals where its still cheaper to buy from an online vendor? And I just now realized they don't say whether they will send them back or not.
    If I get around to sending them in (I still use two of the pans a lot, don't know what I'll cook with?) I will let you know.
    Mary

• robinkateb
    17 years ago

mary, Le Creuset is supposed to be heirloom quality so it should stand up to over 20 years of use. I had one replaced that was at least 30 years old. They do not send back the old ones though. It is hard to be without them while you wait as well.

The 75% off price is totally worth it. It is way better then any other price you will find. If the size/color is no longer available in your letter to them you can include preferred replacement size/color.

-Robin

• maosbo_gmail_com
    12 years ago

I have a vintage LE CREUSET #14 ORANGE SMALL SAUCE POT W/ LID, looks very similar to the French onion soup bowl they currently make, but it is enameled cast iron & has a lid. I would like to send it back, as it is heavily cracked and frankly unusable. The lid is still great.

I'm worried that the coupon I'll get back (it is pretty old, and i doubt they can replace it anyway) will only cover the $20 onion soup bowl. Will the 75% off coupon apply to any item I choose? Or has anyone sent back a similar item, and with what success?