Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best pot for steaming vegs/shrimp etc

Posted by lagatella (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 13, 05 at 8:44

I have a Black and Decker steamer which I like alot but it comes in 3 or 4 pieces and is a PITA to pull out and use. As I am just starting my pot and pan collection is there a good steamer out there for the range top. I have gas.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best pot for steaming vegs/shrimp etc

A simple and cheap solution is to get one of those collapsible stainless steel steamer inserts. It'll fit in many different saucepans. They work fine. The quality of the saucepan isn't critical, since all you're using the pot for is to boil about an inch of water under the steamer insert. The main thing is having a snug lid on the saucepan.

Most sets of cookware these days have a steamer insert which will fit one of the medium size saucepans.

If you're acquiring pots & pans right now, consider this: I have a three piece (four, if you count the lid) stainless set stockpot set from Tramontina I got at Sam's. Moderately large stockpot, a pasta insert and a steamer insert. Reasonably priced (I think it was around $30 or so), heavy duty. The steamer portion is big enough to hold a 4 lb chicken, so you can steam almost anything.

With that one purchase you have the tools to steam all the veggies and shrimp you want, and also can use it for cooking rice or pasta. (see in the thread below my post on using a steamer insert to cook rice)

Here is a link that might be useful: cooking rice

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here