Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
juicer on the cheap?

Posted by higgledy (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 26, 13 at 8:09

My wife just bought a Ninja Blender. It does a good job of pulverizing anything you put in it. It does not make juice, which is fine because we bought a blender. However, I am thinking what if I use the blender to pulverize my fruits and vegetables. Then, take that pulverized mash and run it thru a food strainer, like a Victorio food strainer. Does anyone have an opinion if the food strainer would finish the job and make juice? This is the type of strainer I have in mind: http://www.victorioproducts.com/review/product/list/id/168/category/45/
My mom used have one when I was a kid. She made lots of tomato sauce and apple sauce. But with the correct screen, why not juice?

Thanks for reading.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: juicer on the cheap?

No, not a 'juicer'. If you want juice, you need a juicer. That is an improvement having a stainless strainer for tomatoes and cooked apples for applesauce. Think 'babyfood' and tomato 'sauce'.
Your thinking is sensible but it will not give you clean liquid juice. Seems like alot of work to try and get juice from a few different appliances. You could experiment with your ninja to make healthy smoothies, some frozen fruits,(banana, blueberries) add a few greens like kale/spinach, frozen cherry tomatoes, a bit of plain greek yogurt.
A good juicer is the Breville all stainless. I got mine on Ebay, lightly used, half the retail
price. (a single guy that just did not want to bother with the shopping and cleaning)
I used an Acme juicer for years, just a bit of a mess to clean but not that bad. I like Carrot, beet, celery, ginger, apple,sometimes kale if i have it. I do not like a 'chewy' juice, so a juicer is necessary. A better quality blender is needed for really smooth 'smoothies' like a Vitamix or Blendtec. They will not extract 'juice'.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here