Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chitownfifi_gw

Am I doomed?

chitownfifi
19 years ago

I just started using a couple of new pots. Anyway, I have been extremely careful to follow all the instructions (e.g., preheat the pan, put in the oil, etc...no high heat). And, I still have found the rainbow-y colored stuff results on the inside bottom of the pan. Does this ever come off? Am I doomed? In the long run, it doesn't matter all that much to me since the functionality is obviously still there - but what if i want them on display?? Does anything get rid of this?

Comments (9)

• lindac
    19 years ago

Cooking pots on display? Cooking pots that look like they have never been used? Why? I am proud of my well used pots and pans.
    Linda C

• Melic
    19 years ago

I assume you're talking about rainbow-colored discoloration in stainless steel. A little Barkeeper's Friend will take care of that discoloration just fine. Stainless can discolor either from prolonged exposure to heat (even low heat, like a low, long simmer) or from minerals in your water. BKF will take out those stains with no scrubbing.

• marymd7
    19 years ago

And what's the point of good pots if you can't turn the heat up high? I have NEVER understood that particular instruction from some of these manufacturers. Even if All-Clad or Calphalon in an excess of caution advise you to keep the heat at medium, I assure you that you can crank it up without doing any harm to their products.

• Lynne_SJO
    19 years ago

I use plain white vinegar on my set of SS Al Clad and it works great for most things - since we have hard water and get a lot of spotting. With bad stains, I use BKF.

L

• eandhl
    19 years ago

chitownfifi I understand why you want to keep your pans looking pristine. BKF and white vinegar will become useful to have on hand. I may be way off but I think the high heat issue has to do with the newer cookware it isn't necessary. I know I can sear on med hi in my ALL Clad SS saute just fine. I usually use hi heat for a big pot of water for pasta or stir fry only. I have seen the rainbow look you are talking about and a little scrub with BKF takes care of it. You are not doomed. Enjoy your cookware.

• Taya
    18 years ago

Hi folks, can you please let me know what BKF is?
    On some of our newly All Clad we have hard water spots and on some the rainbow effect... What is the process to clean this up?
    Thank,
    Taya

• HanArt
    18 years ago

Nothing wrong with wanting to keep your pans nice looking. My mom has Wearever pots that are at least 50 years old and still look great!

BKF = Bar Keeper's Friend.

Here is a link that might be useful: BKF

• Nancy Logan
    8 years ago

The warning of not cooking in high heat is NOT to protect your SS cookware (your SS cookware can take it), but it's for our protection, as cooking in high heat not only destroys the nutrients of the food, but also releases heavy metals toxicity into your food, which is not good for the body. This occurs in every brand of SS cookware, except cookware made out of titanium surgical steel. I learned this by watching (YouTube) Dr. James Meschino, expert in nutrition, prevention of cancer, & more. Watch "Dangerous Cookware To Avoid" on YouTube. This was very infornative for me and I now use and own the best and safest cookware there is! Do your own research on cookware, stainless steel vs titanium. Good health to ALL :)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz