Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best Soup Pot? Shape and Band?

Posted by dogitnice (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 17, 08 at 21:09

I want to get a big heavy pot for the purpose of making soup that will simmer for two hours. I saw a beautiful pot by Straub that has a larger circumference rather than height. It is about eight quarts, cast iron and glazed in an aborigine color. Just beautiful. Because the emphasis is on width rather than height I would like to know if that matters. I am an inexperienced cook but I like to try and have made this soup before. I also have been advised to get a hand held 'smasher' (do-not know what else to call it) and would like suggestions as to brand and what to look for.

Thank you,
Dogitnice

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best Soup Pot? Shape and Band?

I'll bet you meant aubergine rather then aborigine...but they often are the same color! LOL!
A wide soup pot is wonderful because when the heat source is on the bottom the stuff in the pot stays at a more uniform temperature.
Hmm....hand held smasher...? Do you mean a hand held blender? or a potato masher?
Linda C

o

Thanks Linda, so much for spell check! OK a wide soup pot it is!

I do not mean a potato masher. The purpose would be to puree the vegetables in the soup. What would be the best way to do this?

Thank you,
Dogitnice

o

Stick blender.

o

Any brand suggestions for a stick blender?

The pot I had in mind is a Staub, it was on sale and sold out this morning! I wonder about other brands of iron pots for slow cooking--any suggestions? Is it worth spending the money for the Staub? Rachel Ray and Emeril brands have put out iron pots that are a lot cheaper.

Thank you,
Dogitnice

o

staub is worth it....as is Le Cruset....
Don't know about RR nor Emeril...
But once you buy a good cast iron enamel ware pot, you will be hooked.
I hear Lodge makes a good pot as well.
Linda C

o

Descoware (made in Belgium) is almost the equivalent to Le Creuset (made in France) in quality and durability. The manufacture of Descoware enameled cast iron cookware was discontinued in the seventies. However, sometimes you can pick up great bargains for this vintage cookware on Ebay.

Dan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here