Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Neophyte question about reactive foods

Posted by retro_rabbit (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 13, 05 at 21:08

I've been reading a lot about how you should avoid reactive cookware with acidic foods -- tomatoes, wine, etc.

I have 2 cast iron dutch ovens which I use primarily for making stews. Typically these involve wine and/or tomatoes. They cook for about 3 hours. I transfer them to something else for storage after they've cooled a bit. Have I been unwittingly poisoning my family?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Neophyte question about reactive foods

If you pick up a little iron from your cooking, there is no trouble, as a lot of diets are somewhat low in necessary iron. Don't worry about it.

I found this info on a website:
"Most North Americans don't get enough iron in their diet. If you cook a couple meals a day on iron pans, the small amount that is absorbed into the body by the food represents only about 20% of the recommended daily dosage."

Here's the link

Here is a link that might be useful: cast iron

o
RE: Neophyte question about reactive foods

Unless the acidic food is the main ingredient in your stew the acidity of your stew is probably pretty low. If you have seasoned your cast iron the food isn't coming into contact with the iron anyway. Highly acidic food will take some (or all) of the seasoning off so I wouldn't cook a tomato based pasta sauce in cast iron but I surely wouldn't worry about adding a few tomatoes to a stew.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here