Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stainless steel vs. anodized -- buying first set, need advice

Posted by tmac96 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 11, 05 at 20:58

I am looking at two different sets that I want to get to start off with. Both are from QVC's Cook's Essentials line. One is the Stainless 500 and the other is the "Technique" Hard Anodized. Here are the facts/feelings on both:
- Love the look of the polished stainless much better!
- Love the shape of the stainless set! The curved bottom of the saucepans is so much nicer when you are working with a spoon.
- Heard anodized is better for heat distribution.
- The weight of the stainless is "medium-heavy", anodized is "heavy".
- Both oven safe to 500.

I really like the stainless steel set better, but anodized seems to be the rage right now. Is is really worth giving up the other things I like about the stainless? What do you think? Thanks for any input!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stainless steel vs. anodized -- buying first set, need advice

Stainless goes in the dishwasher. Reason enough right there. DWs ruin most anodized pans.

Stainless can also be cleaned with abrasives if necessary. Yes, it will scratch, but over time, it gets a patina from the scratches that looks lovely. Abrasives will ruin anodized pots. You won't want to use anything harder than a loofah on them.

Good stainless will last for generations. You don't and won't see any heirloom anodized pots and pans.

o

The QVC stainless 500 cookware is all non-stick. I don't feel you need all pots and pans to be non-stick. Much prefer the stainless inside and out with a few non-stick frying pans.

I really like the Cuisinart cookware line.

o

I own both anodized and stainless (high end) cookware. I prefer to use the anodized because, well, it performs better. Why is that?

Aluminum simply conducts heat better than stainless steel. Manufacturers of SS cookware will either sandwich a thin sheet of aluminum between two sheets of SS ("clad" or "Tri-ply"), or bond a thicker sheet of aluminum to the bottom of the cookware, in order to get the benefits of aluminum with the aesthetics of SS. These processes vastly improve the performance of the SS cookware, but solid aluminum will always provide superior heating properties.

And, that's why anodized is becoming the "rage". Purists and those that know and understand these properties prefer the performance of anodized.

But most of today's stainless steel cookware can boast very good performance characteristics, and for those who prefer the aesthetics of SS, are a good choice. If you love the look and feel of stainless, go for it. Both sets you're looking at should perform well. But it will be in YOUR kitchen, YOU will have to look at it, YOU will have to use it every day.

Easy, huh?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here