Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lubrication of KitchenAid Stand Mixer

Posted by hawkster (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 9, 08 at 19:42

My 5 year old stand mixer has given me reliable service, and I couldn't cook without it. But, let's face it, it's based on ancient technology. Today I needed to wipe a bit of grease (lubricating, not cooking) off of the attachment shaft. This makes me think the lubrication in the drive mechanism may be breaking down. Should I be thinking of removing the housing and relubricating the drive line?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lubrication of KitchenAid Stand Mixer

Yes. I had an old KA until a few years back. Every year or so it would start dripping housing/packing oil like you describe...I abused that machine by asking it to mix and knead bread of all things ;o) I used to have it re-packed with grease, but after doing this a number of times I felt I was fighting a losing battle because it was happening more frequently. I finally gave up the ghost and purchase a new stand mixer (Viking). But you should be able to eke out a few more years of life by re-packing it.

o
RE: Lubrication of KitchenAid Stand Mixer

I'd say that the grease isn't breaking down. That is VERY unlikely to happen.

I'd say it's actually the shaft seals.

Replacing the shaft seals may be an option for you, or it may have to be done by a KA service center, I really don't know.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here