Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cast iron pans

Posted by bmmalone (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 12, 11 at 17:41

my husband thinks I am crazy, but I can taste a metal taste when he uses cast iron pans. Anyone else have this problem?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cast iron pans

No, but you could be very sensitive to that taste for some reason. Cooking in a cast iron pan is supposed to add a bit of iron to the diet.

o

I agree with the previous post. It adds some iron into your food but you can't taste it. It's like 9-10 mg per 100g food.

o

It may be that the foods being cooked in the pans are acidic (such as tomatoe based), and/or not totally seasoned. With normal cooking and frying you shouldn't be tasting or smelling iron if the pan is extremely well seasoned. The Lodge maufacturing website has tips on seasoning cast iron pans.

The amount of iron you are getting will not harm you, and is likely very beneficial. I cook with cast iron all the time. Love it.

Sandy

o

It could also be you (he) has lost the seasoning you should have on the surface. If it gets the least little bit of rust to it, even a dusting of it, you can taste the iron.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here