Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mbucovy

Nonstick Anodized and wot does 'infused' mean??

mbucovy
16 years ago

The shop person at BBB said "hard anodized" doesn't exist anymore except in Non-Stick. The NS layer seems to defeat the whole advantage of using hard anodized aluminum for braising and caramelizing? And further NS being a carcinogenic. Any comments?

Is there any advantage to having a NS material in sauce pots/worth paying more? I see Calphalon has a 12inch fry pan ($150) that is "hard anodized" infused. Is this the same as the NS hard anodized?

I see the Cuisinart 2 qt (cheaper than the Eware with no copper layer) comes in SS and Hard Anodized at the same price. Any benefit one over the other for this size pot?

Comments (6)

• arosania
    16 years ago

Hard Anodized does not imply non stick. My understanding is that it is just a way of hardening the aluminum so it is less flexible and doesn't leech into food.

Infused on the other hand is used to reference the non-stick portion, which instead of a simple coating, is somehow impregnated into the metal. My understanding is that this is still Teflon, perhaps someone can confirm or refute that?

Anthony

• mbucovy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey Anothony,

My questions isn't what hard anodized is. If you go to BBB you will see just about all advertised cookware as "Hard Anozided" is advertised as "Non Stick" or "infused". If the HA is NS than it really defeats the point in using HA cookware in achieving the results it's know for....since anything NS prevents caramelizing and browning.

So should I bother with HA cookware that is NS unless I've missed a pro here?

Thanks for answering what infused is...with more research it's debatable whether infused polymer is also carsinogenic. It looks like it is not Teflon though.

• danab_z9_la
    16 years ago

Teflon is NOT carcinogenic......never was and never will be. It is a polymer that cannot be dissolved by either concentrated acids or caustics. If boiling Teflon in fuming 102% sulfuric acid will not dissolve it, how could the comparable mild stomach acid dissolve it so it enters the bloodstream? If ever any piece of Teflon is mistakenly eaten, you can rest assured that it will travel through the digestive system completely intact and unaltered in any way either physically or chemically.

Dan

• alexrander
    16 years ago

My understanding is you can eat Teflon and the various other non-stick polymers, but the problem is the fumes if it's overheated. Some people get minor 'flu' like ailments. Teflon is a Dupont brand name, but the infused, non-stick stuff is almost identical (PTFE). Also, during the manufacturing there is a chemical that is released (supposedly not left in the pan, but read the link) PFOA used to smooth the surface but burned off in bonding, and I think this is the stuff that is showing up in everyones blood.....

"At 680°F Teflon pans release at least six toxic gases, including two carcinogens, two global pollutants, and MFA, a chemical lethal to humans at low doses. At temperatures that DuPont scientists claim are reached on stovetop drip pans (1000°F), non-stick coatings break down to a chemical warfare agent known as PFIB, and a chemical analog of the WWII nerve gas phosgene." quoted from Environmental Working Group.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fun reading about teflon style pans

• alexrander
    16 years ago

I wanted to mention that I've read that Hard Anodizing is used as a base for non-stick coatings. It helps to keep the Teflon stuff adhering to the pan. That's why if you had Hard Anodizing, you always have the non-stick.

• danab_z9_la
    16 years ago

Teflon used in cookware becomes a potential toxic issue ONLY when its decomposition temperature is actually reached over an extended period of time. Last I heard that was at 750 degrees when the thermal decomposition point actually takes place. You really would have to abuse your cookware for this to occur.

The seasoning on cast skillets likewise will thermally decompose and produce toxic carbon monoxide. Again, you really have to abuse your cast iron cookware for that to occur. Your charcoal barbecue pit releases toxic carbon monoxide too. But, you have to use your pit indoors for that to be a problem. Abuse a gas barbecue pit and it too will release harmful gases. I tend to follow manufacturer's instructions for their products; so, I have a reasonable amount of confidence that I will avoid those harmful situations.

Hard Anodizing was developed to electrochemically harden and passivate aluminum surfaces. Hard Anodizing in cookware makes the cooking surface less reactive to the acids and bases associated with cooking (makes it less corrosive). Teflon is so slippery that special treatments are needed to get it to stick to any cookware product.......hard anodization is one such treatment used to get it to stick to the pan's cooking surface. I'm not sure that all Hard Anodized cookware products are necessarily non-stick.

Dan

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County